We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit

Going to NO next month and looking for some local restaurants and hangouts that are must see in the french quarter.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
644 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit

Beignets at Cafe du Monde are not to be missed when visiting New Orleans. When me and my family are in town we usually get beignets every day of our trip.

After that I recommend Acme Oyster House. Their oysters and fried fish are delicious.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit

We just bought a Groupon for a place called Nosh which is described as a diner/hole in the wall. That could be interesting and I'm looking forward to trying the place! Pretty good reviews too :)

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but..... is there a way to avoid the mobs at Cafe Du Monde? I was in NOLA for eight days back in March, and I could never go there because of the lines, which seemed to be there at all times of the day/evening.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit

Unfortunatly Kayak there is no way to avoid the lines at CDM. We went one night after a Mardi Gras parade (at/about) 11PM and there was no one there, so maybe later at night is the best time. In the mornings the place is a zoo. The take out window goes pretty fast unless you get some door knob who is standing in front of the sign that says CASH ONLY, buys $200.00 worth of stuff, and insists to pay with a credit card! I love their cafe au lait though so I ususally end up waiting anyway!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit

kayak...we usually get there around 6 am before the mob starts...once people wake up, there's really no way to avoid the crowds! Grab a table...things move pretty quickly even when there are crowds.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can get in in November.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit

Also at Cafe DuMonde..go into the room to the left...not many realize its there for seating....for food in the original thread..check out www.nomenu.com

Nj
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit

Thanks all, appreciate it. Any place to get great Creole/Cajun food?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit

there are sooooooooooooo many great places...where are you staying and we'll try to list some places close to you first! Also, fancy food or basic food?

Laurel, MS
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit

Make sure to try the Palace on canal street, and save room for desert. Try Bubba Gumps, not only good food, but some Forest Gump Trivia thrown in adds to the overall experience. Try Cochon located at 930 Tchoupitoulas Street, but have an open mind when you look at the menu. As someone else mentioned, there's too many GREAT places to eat, the above is just a few.