We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

I'm a mid-30s female thinking about travelling around some of the Southern states on my own (coming from London) over Christmas and New Year. Just wondering what I should see and safe areas to stay/explore alone. Any advice appreciated - this is my first solo adventure!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

Stay in the French Quarter and you will be all right. Don't stay out until the wee wee hours. Don't flash money, jewelry or your cell phone. After dark, keep to well traveled streets. Basic, anywhere, street smart advice. You will be surprised at how comfortable you will feel.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

Hi! You should be fine if you don't wander off - stay close to where the general public congregates.

Since you posted in the New Orleans forum, I'm going to assume N.O. would be your primary destination in America. If you want to explore the Deep South as well, your main challenge would be with transportation. As you may know, most of America is not well set up for getting around, unless you have a car. Buses (Greyhound) do run between major cities but stations are not always convenient or in the best parts of town.To see New Orleans itself, for the most part, a car is not required since public transport is adequate and the city is compact.

The weather should not be a concern but this is a very changeable time of year so expect anything that you would see in London from March thru June. It is usually balmy but when fronts blow in, the wind definitely carries a chill.

Bringing in the new year in New Orleans is always fun but hotels are likely to be booked for the Sugar Bowl , a major college football game, on Jan. 2.

My answer on what to see in and around New Orleans or the region would depend on what you like and how much time you have- general or offbeat tourist attractions, nature, history, eating out, going out to bars, live music,, whatever.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

I'm a single gal who's been to NO a few times now, and have never had any problems. As kjoster said, just use common sense. It's a great place to visit solo as everything is compact. Makes it easy to get around.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

The French Quarter is only about 12 blocks wide and about 7 or 8 top to bottom, and the blocks are not all that big. You can walk all over it in a day, but it takes several days to see most of the sights, and even then you will miss a lot. One area just outside of the Quarter is Frenchmen St., with a lot of music clubs. It's a safe walk in the evening, just don't walk back at 2 AM. Cabs are cheap and safe. The last two blocks of Bourbon St. before you reach Canal St get kind of seedy (strip clubs, etc.), and you don't want to go above N. Rampart St. unless you're going to St. Louis Cemetery (just North of the Quarter), which is only open during the day, and is close to a police station.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 22:16
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

"and you don't want to go above N. Rampart St. unless you're going to St. Louis Cemetery"

Or unless you want to go to Li'l Dizzy's, Candlelight Lounge, St. Augustine Church, Backstreet Cultural Museum, Louis Armstrong Park, Kermit's Treme Speakeasy or just walk around the Treme and explore this nice neighborhood. :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

The Treme is getting better but it's still not a place I'd ever send a single woman who is unfamiliar with the area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

I go solo to NOLA. If you can download the mobile app, it's a great way to tour Treme, the St. Charles street car, and a couple of other waling tours. it's FREE

neworleansonline.com/tools/mobileapps.html

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

Politiceaux, I agree. But there are quite a few shades of grey between "do not go past Rampart" and "you have to go there". My point was that if the OP, in the research she's going to do before now and this trip, finds out that she would like to go for example for a mass at St Augustine's or a brunch at Li'l Dizzy's, I would hate to see her give up on that idea because of an "I shouldn't go past Rampart" fear. Those places are perfectly safe in the daytime, with usual precautions one would take anywhere, and of course with knowing where you're going. If in doubt, there are cabs.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
586 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

Though it's always been me and hubby, he's not a morning person so I always spend my mornings solo in the FQ and just follow the same safety precautions as any other city-day or night. I'd be fine going to New Orleans solo but would cab and/or stay in well lit and populated areas at night-same as any other city I travel to alone.

There is an additional form of transit between some cities called the Megabus. I've not taken it myself but I have friends that have and it's been affordable and clean and even has wifi. Depending on what cities you plan to visit, the odds are good that you'll need a car because many cities (especially in the south) lack good public transportation.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sole female travelling to New Orleans - Christmas/New Year

I agree with Politiceau. While the Treme is getting better, it's still not a place for a solo female to wander alone. Rodent is correct that it's okay in the daytime, but use extra precaution at night.