We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bywater and Marigny

schmizer
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bywater and Marigny

Hello!

I have not spent any time in either of these areas. What are the must eats here? I already have Booty's and Bacchanal on my list.

Are there any unique sights and shopping destinations in either neighborhood?

Appreciate the help and insights!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bywater and Marigny

When are you coming?

My other favorites in the Bywater are Satsuma Cafe (best for breakfast IMO), Pizza Delicious (don't dismiss it as "just pizza" until you try the rolls), Maurepas Foods and Suis Generis. Elizabeth's isn't bad, either, or The Joint, or the Country Club. Shake Sugary has the most wonderful pastries (apple, goat cheese and sage scones are one of the best things I've eaten), but it's open only on Saturdays and Sundays, until 3 pm IIRC.

I've been planning forever to compile a post with all Bywater food options, maybe I'll finally do that tonight.

As for places to see, just walk around. People have a lot of art in their gardens (walk all the way around the Bywater Art Lofts). Then there's the Art District on St. Claude, with galleries that change exhibitions on second Saturday of each month. If you're on facebook, feel free to add Triskell Young (just shoot me a PM to let me know who you are), I just posted a bunch of photos today from my recent walks in my neighborhood and the new exhibitions in some galleries that started last Saturday.

schmizer
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bywater and Marigny

Thanks, Rodent! We are coming right before Xmas and I love exploring new neighborhoods.... What is the best time to go to Bacchanal? We will be going on a weekday...

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bywater and Marigny

And don't forget Frenchmen Street for music and fun

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bywater and Marigny

oh! you're gonna love the bywater and marigny!!

Marigny:

mimi's in the marigny is awesome. they have great tapas and an interesting vibe. it's on dauphine. they have a very decent beer selection and is not expensive at all. try the goat cheese balls with honey. delish.

marie's bar has a pop up called we got soul that's supposed to be very good too.

if you have a never missed hbo/showtime/cable show that you like, chances are that lost love lounge will have a viewing. we saw walking dead there and it was really fun. good asian food too in the back. it's a block away from mimi's.

the frenchmen art market from thursday to sunday is amazing. wait to buy your souvenirs there. like etsy but real life. their website sucks a bit, but they have a regularly updated facebook page.

frenchmen st. it's self is great if you want to bar hop. you can go into most bars with the same drink so you don't have to get trashed as long as it's in a plastic cup. we went to most of the bars on frenchmen while we were there...we prefer the upbeat big brass bands over smooth jazz so we liked blue nile, dba(no outside beer) and maison the best but i guess it depends on the night.

sentiments is very similar to baccanal but much more accessable. it's above the feelings cafe. they've got a nice balcony.

cake cafe is great for breakfast. really good, spicy boudin patties and grits. juice made in house(i loved the apple and ginger one), great biscuits and although i can't vouch for the desserty baked goods, i heard from other people at the inn that their cupcakes are incredible.

bywater:

Maurapas!!!!! this was one of our favorite eating experiences. also i would not expect to say awesome and goat tacos in the same sentence...they really were. everything is made in house...syrups for drinks, hot sauces, alcohol infusions etc...the pickles are really interesting too.

also right beside maurapas is the studio of christopher porche west who does really incredible mixed media art. worth a visit if it's open. there's a store about a 5 min walk down from there too. very close to a music store with locally made trinkets and home items that you might also like. we thought it was a bit pricy but the stuff the shop had was very cute.

i second satsuma either for breakfast or lunch. their sandwiches are good, as is the coffee. the crowd is very hipster/bywater. the staff is very sweet.

the st. claude area is neat too, as rodent had mentioned with the art. there's a food truck event that goes on once a month organised by my house nola that usually happens somewhere around there too.. they have a facebook page and twitter account where you can get updated on events.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bywater and Marigny

We've Got Soul is closed for the moment - they are working on resolving some problems, but at this time not giving any estimate how long this might take. They popped up at Kajuns Pub a couple of weeks ago and I think might at Daiquiri Festival today, but aren't at Marie's for now.

I second Jessica's other Marigny recommendations. I concentrated on the Bywater because this is where I live, but you got some great advice above. :-)

Art places to visit in the Bywater, how could I have forgotten Dr Bob's??? It's on Chartres, between Montegut and Clouet and he's a very chatty and interesting character who will talk your ears off, but you'll learn some interesting things in the process.

http://drbobart.net/

6. Re: Bywater and Marigny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20