We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for a biking route

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for a biking route

We always rent bikes when in New Orleans, makes it easier to explore the city.

Usually we would go either to the lake , through the city park or along the river (from FQ – to Bywater or to Audubon Park, exploring everything on the way there).

We’ll be in New Orleans next week, renting bikes again ( heat is not an issue) and this time we would like to go to a different area – bike in a direction of midcity and ending up in Longue Vue gardens.

It is an absolutely unknown part of the city for us; would like to put together an interesting biking route -from FQ to Longue Vue gardens.

Would appreciate any suggestions - interesting places, buildings, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. - on the way to the gardens.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 18:40
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Esplanade Avenue is a shared bike line from the river to the Claiborne overpass, then a dedicated bike line all the way to City Park. In midcity, Broad Avenue also has a dedicated bike line if you're going perpendicular to Esplanade.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Some stuff to see on Esplanade linked below. Cool area.

I'd recommend the smaller residential streets south of City park for cutting over towards Metarie if you do go up Esplanade.

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020035.html

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Thank you for all suggestion and the links!

The Esplanade Avenue route we’ve done numerous times, both biking and walking. ( A visit to the Sculpture garden is always a must for us when we are in New Orleans; it is just such a special place. Strange though that Frommer’s suggests doing the route on Monday –Saturday, since Monday is the day when the Museum of Arts is closed).

I think we‘ll try to bike south –west of Esplanade. So far the the route looks like this:

Going early in the morning directly to the Longue Vue (since we might spend hours there, prefer to start it early). On the way to the gardens, breakfast either at Wakin' Bakin' or The Ruby Slipper café.

After the garden visit -biking slowly through the neighborhood, trying to see as much as possible (some buildings that we definitely want to see - Dixie Brewery, Jesuit High School, some other early 20th century buildings)

Just found out that on Thursdays ( the day of the biking trip) there will be The Crescent City Farmers Market near the American Can Co..building. We’ll go there, after that – a po'boy at Parkway Bakery and then ice cream at Angelo Brocato’s ( since they all not far from each other).

Hope to add more things to see to the list by next Thursday!

Edited: 22 August 2013, 17:53
Gretna, Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Longue View is nice but you wont be spending hours there. I dont know if they permit cyclist in Metarie cemetery but an hour at Longue View and a ride through the cemetery would be nice as they are very near one another.

Gretna, Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Just read a review of the cemetery that says they explored by bike.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

trips365, my husband and I are opting to go the bike route this time around while in NOLA as well. I see you are from NYC too. Seeing we bike all the time at home, just makes sense to do the same when on vaca and what a pefect place to do so. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Do you know if there are any good bikes maps anywhere? We would love to bike from the quarter to the garden district and maybe even from the quarter to the lower ninth one day......

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Here's something Soulcat once sent me, passing around:

joeybike.com/maps/…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
204 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

This is very helpful...thank you!! Would it be easy to bike to the lower ninth from the quarter?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

Yes, amvm, there are bike tours doing that all the time, so I'd say it's very doable. :-)

Because of the street layout (the streets fan out from the river and the further from the river, the longer the blocks are, especially in the Marigny), I'd suggest you take Chartres all the way to Poland, then go up Poland to St. Claude to cross the Industrial Canal. A nice way to do that would be to start with breakfast at Cake Cafe (open every day except Tuesday), on the corner of Chartres and Spain, in the Marigny. Then, as you go through the Bywater (which starts after the train tracks near Press), there are a few other spots you might want to stop at:

Dr Bob's art studio on Chartres, between Montegut (which by the way is pronounced with no "t", Moneh-gew) and Clouet.

Piety Street Sno-balls (just a slight turn off Chartres into Piety, it will be on your left)

Euclid Records (corner of Desire and Chartres)

Elizabeth's restaurant (famous for Praline Bacon, on the corner of Gallier and Chartres)

Bacchanal (on the corner of Chartres and Poland) - though that would be more of an evening spot.

Once you get to the other side of Industrial Canal, you can turn right and bike on the levy.

Can't really recommend good biking streets after that, only biked there once and that was over two years ago.

On the way back, at least through the Bywater, I wholeheartedly recommend that you take Burgundy rather than Royal, simply because the surface is so much better (my husband and I joke that it's because there is a police station there ;-P). Once you get to Press, you might as well switch to Royal, as the road is equally crappy but Royal is shorter.

10. Re: Suggestion for a biking route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:19