We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for young children

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants for young children

When I sorted by "kid friendly" on Yelp, two of the top restaurants that came up were August and Cochon. So...that's of no help. Can someone give suggestions for kid-friendly restaurants that would have food options for very young children (under 2) or would at least be an appropriate environment for children of this age? Acme Oyster House comes to mind, although that sounds pretty touristy. Is there anywhere in NOLA that local people go with their kids, something fun that kids would enjoy (ie kids will be distracted well enough for the adults to scarf down food)?

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for young children

Red Fish Grill

Café Beignet across from Royal Sonesta...outdoor venue with live Jazz, drinks. food for all..kids can stretch their legs a bit.

Gazebo Café on Decatur... building before produce section of Farmer's Market...again outdoor venue with live blues, drinks, music....another leg stretching place as long as well-behaved.

Café Maspero on Decatur...huge platters/plates with kids versions, also...reasonably priced. Lots of families there.

Acme is fine....tourists and locals mingle nicely in all of the restaurants in New Orleans. You're apt to find either anywhere!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants for young children

Outside of Stella!, August is the last place in New Orleans that I'd bring young children. I'll try to come up with something for you.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants for young children

Where are you staying?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants for young children

We often meet up with friends and family with small children. We have eaten at Red Fish Grill, El Gato Negro, Orleans Grapevine, Camellia Grill, Cochon Butcher, Acme, Felix's, Deannie's, Emeril's, Nola--all of these were great with kids, no issues at all (other than stool seating at Camellia Grill--not sure if they have high chairs). We just do an early dinner if kids will be there. Other than the high end restaurants like Stella!, August, Commander's Palace or bars like Coop's, I would take a well behaved child to most New Orleans restaurants (of course even a well behaved under-2 year old may have to have a break during a meal!).

Local people are more likely to eat at restaurants Uptown or on Magazine St or in the Marigny or close to their neighborhoods, not sure where you are staying.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants for young children

Marguaritaville too would be a good option. The decor alone will keep children entertained.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants for young children

Thank you everyone! I know, I had to sort "kid friendly" on Yelp three times, because I thought there was no way August was coming up on the top. I've been there before (sans children of course) and there's no way I would bring ANY child there, let alone a toddler. Even a well behaved toddler still squeals and makes a mess. We will be staying in the French Quarter, but will be willing to travel anywhere. I saw Red Fish Grill listed on another website too, I need to check it out. I am surprised to hear that the Emeril restaurants would be kid-friendly, I will check those out too. Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants for young children

skt suggested a very good listing for you...I agree with it.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
301 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants for young children

Just took my two grandchildren (3yr old, and 2 month old) to Mr. B's for their Sunday jazz brunch. They were entertained by the music and it was noisy enough that no one noticed. They were very accommodating and were willing to fix the 3 yr. old "kids food". Plus, the adults had a great time with absolutely great food. One of our favorite restaurants .

9. Re: Restaurants for young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21