We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

My wife and I are making the trek down to celebrate our 2nd anniversary in mid-November. She has been once before (and did not enjoy) and I have never been. I welcome any thoughts to my proposed plan. Neither of us are big drinkers or night owls.

Tuesday

-Arrive around 3 and check out Jackson Square and perhaps grab a drink somewhere in FQ (perhaps Muriels)

-7PM dinner at Cochon

Wednesday

-Rent car from Avis and drive out to swamp tour with Pearl River Eco Tours 10AM tour

-Drive back to city and get lunch at the Joint (I realize renting a car doesn't save much $ for just the swamp tour but figured it would save a little there plus cab far to the Joint)

-Return rental around 2PM and then set out on a FQ walking tour (Self guided)

-6PM dinner at Boucherie

-Get online around 715 for Preservation Hall and catch 8 (hopefully) show

Thursday

-Streetcar to zoo

-Noonish leave zoo and grab po boys at Mahonys

-Take self guided Garden District walk

-Explore Magazine some

-Streetcar back to town and take in aquarium briefly

-Happy hour and dinner at Domenica with wife's friends

Friday

- Cafe Du Monde for breakfast

- Bike tour with a company like Confederacy of Cruisers

- Lunch at Cochon Butcher

- WW II Museum

- Dinner at Commanders

Saturday

- 11AM flight

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Looks good if not a bit ambitious but it can be done...enjoy

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Lots of good stuff on your itinerary, but I think you've got it scheduled a bit too tightly.

For example: with dessert and everything, I'd give the dinner at Boucherie a couple of hours. If you're returning to the Quarter by streetcar, that's another hour at least before you're by Preservation Hall. Even if you cab it, you're ending up either having to extremely rush your dinner or not making it for the 8 pm show at Preservation Hall, or most likely both.

I never thought I'd try to talk anyone into skipping anything in my part of town (Bywater), but honestly, I'd skip The Joint, grab a (little!) bite while in the Quarter and change the Boucherie reservation to 5.30 (I think that's when they open). And even then, don't rush it and bank on the fact you *have* to be back in the Quarter by 8. This wonderful restaurant deserves being savored.

Similarly on Friday, you have a bike tour that will finish in the Marigny around noon. By the time you get to Butcher it will be 1 o'clock-ish. Even if your dinner at Commander's is really late, you're risking being still stuffed from lunch.

This is just my opinion, but it seems to me that - especially if you're planning to use public transport - all these things may take more time than you are allowing for.

If you don't mind me asking - why didn't your wife enjoy her previous visit? What was it about the city that she didn't like?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

For Muriels - if the balcony is open I would grab a drink and sit on the balcony which looks over Jackson Square. I think dinner at Boucherie and then Preservation Hall at 7:15 will not allow you to enjoy dinner.

I would also do Magazine St when you have a car and can cruise down, check out the Garden district and pick somewhere good to eat.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Actually, an even better idea might be driving to Boucherie after your swamp tour and doing lunch there instead of dinner? But I'm biased here, as my favorite thing on their menu (duck po-boy) is available at lunch only. ;-)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

For the Zoo/Garden District journey, I would take the St Charles Ave streetcar in one direction and the Magazine St bus in the other, grouping the activities closest to each respective street.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

why did your wife not enjoy her first visit????

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Ha. It's funny when putting that together I actually thought I had too much fluff in there. We are notoriously rigorous travelers (not that may not be a good thing). She works for a European firm and everytime we tell her boss what we saw in each cit (London, Paris, Istanbul, etc) he is shocked at what we saw. That said maybe this is one to try and slow down (though maybe thats against my NJ/NYC blood...lol).

My wife did not enjoy it the first time, in my opinion, because she went for work (old job). She went for a conference with co-workers only. I believe she let them dominate what she saw/did and didn't do anything she wanted to. I have always wanted to visit (plans last Labor Day killed by hurricane) so my goal is to show her a good time, hence some of the planning (the Joint and Cochon Butcher)

For the Boucherie/Preservation, I was thinking of a cab since we are doing streetcar during the day. I am also fine doing the 9PM or even 10PM show if that where it comes down to.

I didn't consider Cochon Butcher + Commanders = alot of food. It's late so brain not functioning but maybe this weekend I can play around with dropping the Joint and Butcher, getting a muffaletta after the swamp tour and then something smaller before Commanders.

Very much appreciate all the thoughts/suggestions

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Generator, I hope your wife loves it this time. And you as well. :)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Keep in mind that if you do this trip right and fall in love with New Orleans as many of us have, you will be back. No reason to do it all now, savor the atmosphere, culture and history. Do your homework, it's worthwhile.

Some of us already have or are planning moves to NOLA... It's quite the place and I'm a world traveler.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Critique My Plan: First Time Visitor

Just an idea about Preservation Hall. Every time I've been on St Peter in the evening, I see the long line for admission. Some of those people are in the line a long time. And then you may have to stand for the performance, if you are lucky enough to get in. PH does offer advance sale tickets and seating with their VIP tickets available online. See preservationhall.com/hall/contact/index.aspx scroll down and click on the green VIP box, and select a date and show. There are only 8 VIP tickets available per show, so the earlier you go on line the better. The downside is that VIP tickets are $30. each, as opposed to General Admission prices of $15. each.