We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

I'm hosting 13 girls for a Bachelorette party the weekend of Oct 4-5th, and I'm tackling the restaurant reservation game this week...and I'm not having a great time.

Right now I have a reservation at Palace Cafe on Friday night, which I thought would be a nice creole kick-off and our 'fancier' dinner for the weekend.

Saturday night is proving to be tricky--GW Fins, Muriel's, and Mr. B's all said no when I called. I did make a reservation at NOLA, and one at Red Fish Grill, but I'm not satisfied with these options. I think NOLA might be too similar in vibe/food as Palace Grill, and Red Fish is under the same 'group' of restaurants as Palace Grill, so with all the good food options in NOLA it seems a little silly to do that...but maybe I've overthinking this whole thing.

So, long story short: I'm looking for a casual/fun place (any price range) that will accommodate 13 late 20's/early 30s Bachelorette ladies. Primarily in the French Quarter/walking distance from the Hyatt FQ.

Thank you!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

well, IMHO, both Red Fish Grill and NOLA have better menus, fresher, more up-to-date, and are in better locations than Palace Cafe. If you really want more casual but in the French Quarter, how about Deanie's? seafood, in a casual setting. What about Soubou? --tapas style, I haven't been but it might suit your group. El Gato Negro has very good Mexican food in the French Quarter, and was great with our big group a few years ago.

Big groups are hard for small New Orleans restaurants--good luck!

Skiatook, OK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

We have always enjoyed Mulate's for dinner. We have gone in both a group and in a small group. Live music and great food.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

Red Fish Grill is my fall back for groups of 10-20 who want a lively hustle and bustle kind of place. But I agree with you, Palace Cafe and Red Fish Grill are somewhat redundant. Why did Muriel's turn you down? Just shootin' from the hip, maybe Vacherie or one of their affiliated restaurants. Maybe Domenica, Irene's, Cafe Amelie, Luke?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

I agree with everything tamarainnc wrote. Deanie's is not my personal favorite (although they have a very good charbroiled oyster), but they do an excellent job with larger groups.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

Thanks all!

Given your responses perhaps I should do some re-arranging and try for NOLA or RFG on Friday night and try one of your suggestions--SouBou, Deanie's, Domenica--for Saturday? Or maybe it doesn't matter much the order of dinners (did I'm mention I'm a habitual overthinker?!).

Muriel's told me they had no room and had already booked a number of large groups, which is a bummer, because it seemed like the perfect fun New Orleans-y place to start the festivities. Should've started this effort a little earlier I guess!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

I would suggest NOLA way before RFG, and Emeril's before NOLA.

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

I agree with Politiceaux, however, if ya'll are staying in the Quarter and walking, go with NOLA...much easier with 13 ladies. Domenica would be fun for the other night...if you go early, 3:00-6:00, drinks are 1/2 price, as are their wonderful pizzas and they have $7 small plates. . very casual, lots of fun and a large dining room...only one block across Canal St. SoBou also has a nice HH from 3:00-6:00 and has some really good small plates and a fun vibe. I like the Palace Café, but it may not fit your group..if you decide to keep it on your list, I would not compare it to NOLA in any way...

wish it was marigny
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

Was in New Orleans last week and stopped by Tableau. They had quiet a few large groups in there. Also Kingfish has a Happy Hour I think till 7:00pm. An overlooked restaurant is Galvez....tapas and a great view! All are in the Quarter.

Good Luck!

Courtney

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

El Gato Negro has always been absolutely wonderful with the large groups we bring in. The food is delicious (and there is seafood on the menu) and the margaritas are amazing! I would highly recommend them.

For another choice Margaritaville! The place is fun by itself and the food is very good and we had a group of 10-12 and they were fine with that!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October Bachelorette - Restaurant help!

I was also going to recommend Dickie Brennans Tableau. They have a lot of large tables and it's in a great location with excellent food! You could even choose to dine in their courtyard if you wished!