We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "old" hurricanes

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Topic
The "old" hurricanes

Does anybody remember when the Hurricane cocktail at Pat O's was made with Jeros red passion fruit cocktail mix? The company is still in business but I don't see the red passion on their website. I talked to a senior bartender at Pats and he smiled and said those were the "good" hurricanes. I think todays a good too. (I sense Herm and Deny raising an eyebrow at me) but what I would give for a few bottles of that stuff.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "old" hurricanes

I only know the "new" hurricanes at Pat's and those taste pretty good to me. The old ones sound good too! You can't find the stuff on the Jeros website, huh? Can anybody out there help!!!!! Sounds like something I would love to try!

Bobby did you try the hurricane at The Ice House Bar while you were at the Provincial? ATN actually makes them with real juice and they were mighty tasty! We'll have to have one in October for your opinion!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "old" hurricanes

Den, are they less sweet? That's the reason I don't like the ones at Pat's (even skipped getting a free one on my birthday this year, though it was more of an "yeah, maybe I'll go and claim it one of these days" and then that day never came, rather than a planned skipping), they taste like rum with sugar to me.

How do you pronounce ATN? It it an acronym that stands for something?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The "old" hurricanes

For scientific purposes Den I'll have one at the ice house. Ill have to figure out a way to make you one of my nearly famous Bobby Rita's

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The "old" hurricanes

Rodent--You can order any drink at Pat's for your birthday drink. It doesn't have to be a hurricane! You blew that one dude! I don't know what the old hurricanes taste like cuz I don't think I've ever had one! The ones at Ice House are not that sweet! As for ATN I think those might be his initials. I will definitely have to ask!

So Bobby what year did Pat's change their mixes? Famous Bobby Rita's???? Now you're talkin! Care to share the recipe?

Only 49 days for that Ice House bar taste test :)

Edited: 24 August 2013, 18:21
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The "old" hurricanes

Den, I know it can be any drink. If I had made it there, I'd probably have had the Fuzzy Leprechaun, as that was one I have liked the most so far. Still, I wasn't crazy about it, and considering I wouldn't have gone on my own, so we'd need to buy another drink, so really between the two of us two drinks would have ended up being 50% off each, I just wasn't in a hurry. And with all the stuff happening, 30 days just passed before I realized it. Well, there will be the "half way to St. Patrick's" in September and IIRC Fuzzy Leprechauns are half off on that weekend, so we might do it then. :)

And yes, I was asking about the sweetness of the Hurricanes at Ice Bar, I do realize you can't know what the "old" ones at Pat's taste like. :)

And for the record, I wasn't very impressed by Laffite's bar hurricanes, either. I found them less artificially tasting than Pat's, but also simpler, in a way that made me think "Hey, that's just fruit juice and rum, I can do that at home" Know what I mean?

Edited: 24 August 2013, 18:45
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The "old" hurricanes

I can't do Lafitte's at all! I don't like their hurricane (and I have tried twice) and I don't like the grape slushy Voodoo either cuz that just tasted like plastic to me! I love the building but the drinks not so much! I just read on Pat's drink list that they have a frozen pina colada! I can't wait to try it and see! Do you like those? Have you tried Pat's lemonade? That is really good too.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The "old" hurricanes

The Voodoo thing at Lafitte's was horrible. Gave Mr Rodent the mother of all hangovers the next day. :-/

When we went there towards the end of last year's Flok, between us we had several different drinks, but I don't remember whether the lemonade was among them. I know I had had a Purple People Eater and someone else (Soulcat?) had the Fuzzy Leprechaun and I liked the latter more.

Frozen Pina Colada does sound good. :)

By the way, I'm about (in an hour or two) to go and check out the Daiquiri Festival (which was originally scheduled for last Saturday but got rescheduled for today - convenient for me, as I was working last Saturday).

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The "old" hurricanes

Then pina coladas it will be!!!!! : )

Daiquiri Fest??? That sounds like it could be very dangerous! Little sips Mousie--unless you REALLY like something. Then all bets are off!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The "old" hurricanes

I'll share the recipe when I see you Den. Suffice it to say that in the Florida keys I'm known as Margarita Bobby.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The "old" hurricanes

Oh and it was the late 70s or so when the hurricanes were made with jeros. Very similar to now but imho a smidgen better