We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King Cake - off season

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
King Cake - off season

Is there anyplace that has king cake in the off season?

Besides going to Mardi Gras World, that is...

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King Cake - off season

You mean to ship or to eat while in New Orleans? Here's an article from Southern Living with a list of bakery's that will ship year round.

southernliving.com/food/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King Cake - off season

Sorry, should have been more clear. This is to eat while we're there.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: King Cake - off season

There are some for sale at the French Market (at least last September). They had small ones and the larger size. I found it pretty yummy, great for breakfast with a cup of coffee and some orange juice in the am. And it's so much fun when you found the plastic baby inside.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: King Cake - off season

I'm glad to hear that because we NEED to buy one! Back in 2010 my girlfriends and our spouses all went out to a local bar to celebrate Mardi Gras and we got the BABY in our piece of King Cake! I was in charge of it for the first 6 months and took it to London, the Caribbean, NYC, etc. and photographed his every move! Next was Debbie's turn! She lost him w/i the first week! :o( Said she lost him in a taxi...We were just talking about that darn baby last w/e! We need to get a new one! (I know 50 something year old woman acting silly, LOL)

Edited: 26 August 2013, 19:44
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: King Cake - off season

That is too funny Elisabeth! GREAT story! Hopefully you will get another baby to take charge of! I haven't gotten the baby Jesus yet in either of the King Cakes we've had. One of these days!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: King Cake - off season

whoever gets Him is on the hook to buy the next one! :)

LOVED your story Liz!

Edited: 27 August 2013, 13:07
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: King Cake - off season

I usually see cakes at the Rouses on Barrone....generally they are decorated black and gold.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: King Cake - off season

Verablue beat me to it..if Rouses doesn't have them handy...quick notice and they will do one...you have extra miles elizabeth_nj of that missing baby...almost all of the king cake babies are manufactured in China.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: King Cake - off season

Does the Rouse's in the Quarter usually have them? I've never seen them, but I wasn't looking either.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: King Cake - off season

I've seen them in the Rouse's in the Quarter *in* season, they were boxed and stacked more or less near the window. At least the small ones did not have the plastic baby in them, though.

I have no idea whether they have them there off season, too.