We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

Hi,

Is it possible to tour just the grounds or visit just the restaurant at any of the plantations on River Road without having to pay for the house tour? Maybe paying less to just tour the grounds? I am really just interested in the oaks and gardens and have limited time. We would like to eat on the grounds somewhere too if possible. I don't see this grounds-only option offered on their websites and it is not clear concerning the restaurants.

Any info appreciated!

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

The restaurant at Oak Alley plantation is off the immediate area of the house, so you can eat without paying for the tour. You're not suppose to go on the grounds without paying for the tour, but if you do it quickly, I'm sure you can see it. Also, if you stop in front of the house and park on the side of the road for a few minutes to take pictures of the oak alley, there's no one that I notice anyway going to people asking if they have a ticket or not.

Can't see it being done at Laura though as the larger part of the grounds are in back of the house.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

Almost all of them, yes. Do you have certain top choices?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

Thanks Porelly, that sounds like a plan!

Thanks TrueOrleanian, we plan on leaving the airport 9:45 am and driving I-10 west cutting down to River Road where Houma, Bocage, Hermitage plantations are and then crossing over and heading back east along 18 and passing all the plantations (Oak Alley, St. Joseph's, Laura, Evergreen) on the south side heading back to New Orleans by the late afternoon. Just would like to walk an oak alley type of grounds without having to pay for house tour, and it would be nice to eat in a cool setting under some oaks or inside with a nice view.

Doable?

I've looked at most of their websites and understand some are more "house" than grounds and those we will admire from the street. Can you suggest the best 2 grounds and 1 restaurant?

THANKS!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

The grounds at Houmas House are phenomenal (I actually proposed to my wife there after dinner) and I find its restaurant to be the best as well. The restaurant that is open for lunch (Cafe' Burnside) is more casual than the dinner atmosphere but still has great food.

http://www.houmashouse.com/restaurant.htm

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

You can eat at the Oak alley restaurant and than take a walk to "the big house". Pretty sure you can walk the grounds without tour ticket, although the view from the balcony looking down line of Oaks is spectacular and worth the price. The view from the levy( there is a new walking track on top the levy to walk to St. Joseph plantation) towards the house is free, and awesome. Also, there is a "sandwich shop" in gift shop for sandwiches or wraps you could "picnic under the oak", although a poboy from restaurant would be may choice, and gumbo is the best. Be sure to be on the look out for the haunts, lol.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

Wow thanks everyone! Great info! Houma, Oak Alley, and Evergreen were already kinda on top of my list. Our first stop will probably be Houma and depending on our hunger level at the time we will either eat there or wait until Oak Alley. We're doing it this Saturday! Will report on my findings.

Thanks everyone!

7. Re: Plantations: Can you visit JUST the grounds/restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:19