We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

I will be in town Thursday for a class. I don't know anyone. I was wondering where would be some good spots for me to visit mostly for the evening time. I am staying near the French Quarter.

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,232 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Special Offer
French Quarter History Tour with Cafe...
7 Reviews
from US$28.99*
US$32.00
Special Offer
French Quarter History and Ghost...
33 Reviews
from US$16.00*
US$25.00
New Orleans French Quarter Walking...
35 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans City of the Dead St Louis...
378 Reviews
from US$11.99*
US$26.50
Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

Eat at the bar in restaurants-you will make new friends immediately, and you won't have to wait for a table. Just wander through the French Quarter, and you will find tons of places to check out.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

Poole is right as usual. New Orleans is a very welcoming city. Walk around till you see something that interests you. Walk in,strike up a conversation. Its the Big easy afterall.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

The last few random people I've made friends with have been at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

Two conversation friendly plain ol' bars on Chartres St. are Chart Room (at Bienville St.) and Harry's Corner (at Dumaine St.). Both typically have an interesting mix of both locals and tourists, and a wide spectrum of patron ages. These are just plain relatively low cost bars with excellent jukeboxes that keep the mood lively without drowning out conversation. They're not "meat markets", but are places where friendships and other liaisons have been known to form. There are probably a half dozen or more somewhat similar bars in the French Quarter, including the previously mentioned Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, and dozens more scattered thoughout the City.

As also mentioned above, many restaurants serve meals at the bar, and custom allows for similarly seated folks to visit with those close to them. For thirty, forty and fifty something dancing to good cover band music, with previously unknown partners, there is Famous Door on Bourbon St. There is dancing all up and down Bourbon St., sometimes absent any music.

New Orleans residents and visitors are typically very open to conversation. If you are at a museum, pet supply store, voodoo shop, art gallery or other place of special interest, people are generally very open to discussing topics of common interest.

Mentioned in this post
Famous Door
Famous Door
193 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

I've never had a problem striking up a conversation in New Orleans, you never know who you might be talking to either. I've been surprised, that's for sure...

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Orange, California
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

People talk to you everywhere you go. Last night I was in a Walgreens and three people who passed me in the aisles asked me, something like "How you doing?" I replied "Fine. How are you?" Reply is "Thank you, sir." or something similar. I have eaten alone in many restaurants, big time or neighborhood, and most of the time someone talks to me through my meal from another table (Don't take a book; you will never get to it.). For some reason, people in New Orleans do not like to see people eating alone. People on the street walking their dogs stop and chat. New Orleans is very friendly...and don't be surprised that the people who talk to you are of all races.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

I've been travelling solo to NO for the past 5 years now, and have never been lonely. Both locals and tourist are friendly, and quite easy to strike up a conversation. Sit at the bar to eat and/or have a drink, and you'll be chit chatting in no time. Most shop/gallery owners/employees are also friendly and like to chit chat.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

I agree Porelly! The gallery owners and shopkeepers are extremely chatty, as are lots of the bartenders and servers..... And doormen too for that matter! The Vacherie bar in Hotel St Marie is always a friendly quiet little bar. I've been alone, in groups, with my husband, with my kids and parents, and (I) we make friends all the time! New Orleans is very friendly for the most part, "baby".

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Hotel St. Marie
Hotel St. Marie
2,007 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Vacherie
Vacherie
480 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

Link to Gambits Readers Poll of "best of" New Orleans bars in numerous categories, including Best Various Cocktails, Best Dance Clubs, Best College Bar, Best Happy Hour, Best Bar to People Watch, etc.

bestofneworleans.com/gambit/…

I have not been to most of these, but there are a lot of familiar places listed. This may be a little dated as it is from 2010.

Edited: 11 September 2013, 02:44
Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
10. Re: Where is good place to go if you don't know anybody.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24