We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside the french Qtr

London, England...
2 posts
Save Topic
Outside the french Qtr

Hi, we are visiting New Orleans from London for the 1st time in October. When we ask peoples advice the first thing we're told is it's amazing but stay in the french quarter and you'll be fine the rest is dangerous.

I've been reading about other areas and they sound like a lot of fun with a more authentic feel, can anyone set the record straight for me, we have areas in London that arn't the safest but with some of the best things in the city in them and though im weary in some of them I know as long as i keep my eyes open it's fine. As a tourist these kind of things always seem overblown so are there real 'no go' areas or does a little common sense see you ok?

I don't want to miss the real city just because some-one felt slightly less comfortable not surrounded by 100 other tourists...

Thanks for any advice

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside the french Qtr

Of course you can leave the French Quarter! If you are going at night, and the destination is not on the streetcar lines, I'd suggest a cab. Do go to Frenchmen St (you can walk from the Quarter), the Garden District (streetcar or bus). If you are there on a Sunday or Monday night, go to Kermit Ruffins' Speakeasy (take a cab). You can walk to the WWII museum and the Convention Center area (Cochon is a great restaurant). City Park is great, take the streetcar to get there. The no-go areas are the same as in most cities--housing projects, quiet streets late at night, etc.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside the french Qtr

Where are yiu staying Rob?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside the french Qtr

There are a larger number of great restaurants Uptown and in the Garden District than the French Quarter, although staying in the French Quarter is great for tourists. A good chunk of the city is safe, a good chunk is dangerous. It's quite easy to stay safe, however. Cabs are everywhere to bring you wherever quite quickly.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside the french Qtr

Yup, totally overblown! Of course, you'll want to keep an eye on your surroundings, not get stumbling drunk, and not flash cash/valuables around just like any other city, but after 10 visits I've never had anything odd/bad happen, and we go all over the place. Again, it is a large city, and you need to use common sense and listen to intuition, but please--experience some of the greatness of the city along with the French Quarter (which is a wonderful place.) People have mentioned cabs at night, which isn't a bad idea--they're pretty inexpensive and quick--we like United and have their number in our phone. Our favorite restaurant, Bacchanal Wine, is probably best reached by cab. So far I haven't found what I consider a "no go" area, but I'm sure there are some. We visit cemeteries by ourselves and are just a bit more on guard when in "developing" areas.

My favorite neighborhoods other than the Quarter are: the Bywater, the Treme, the Faubourg Marigny, and the Garden District although I've enjoyed staying in Mid-City as well. The Lower 9th Ward is also a great place, although I've only been while on a bike tour--it was very neighborhood-y and serene, very low-key.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Outside the french Qtr

It's not a bad idea to check out the crime map for any city if you're unsure or curious. As you'll see, a lot of it is petty crime.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outside the french Qtr

Ditto to all of the above. Yes, there's crime, but there's also crime in my hometown of 2500 people. I'm a single gal who travels solo (NO was my 1st totally solo trip), and I've never had any problems.

I would suggest staying in the FQ though. That is where you'll be spending most of your time, and the neighborhood (yes, it's a neighborhood, there's more to it than Bourbon St) is absolutely gorgeous. Stay there and visit other neighborhoods.

London, England...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Outside the french Qtr

Fantastic, thanks all, i was hoping this was the case and thank you for some great suggestions for things to do, anymore more then welcome, we are staying just of Bourbon street.

thanks again!

8. Re: Outside the french Qtr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:18