We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
649 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

Yes, I realize these hotels are completely different, but what would be pros and cons? I have been to NOLA twice,staying at the Hilton and Inn on Bourbon. We are looking between Christmas and New Years and both are priced about the same (in a Southwest package). Any suggestions or other recs are welcome. Thanks!!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

I've stayed at the Hilton Riverside many times, and it's convenience to the riverfront streetcar to get to the FQ is hard to beat. It is a typical Hilton-major plus having Drago's Restaurant with the best chargrilled oysters in town.

I've never stayed at the St James, but it is not too much further from the FQ.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

I have stayed at the Hilton Riverside, and been in the St. James lobby (never in a room). The St. James has a cool history in that one of its two buildings was the St. James Infirmary made famous in song.

The St. James is a bit closer to the "core" of the French Quarter, as well as the St. Charles streetcar and Magazine St. bus. The Riverside is a "full service" hotel, while St. James is a less than 100 room "boutique". SOME of the Riverside rooms have rather spectacular views of the River. The St. James seems just a bit rough around the edges, but appeared generally clean and relatively well maintained.

It suppose it depends on whether you would prefer a larger newer (1970s) building, or a much older smaller building.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

"The St. James has a cool history in that one of its two buildings was the St. James Infirmary made famous in song."

I had no idea, thanks for that bit of info. :)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

Rodent, as in many things NOLA, there is some controversy. Although the hotel is formed in part by the New Orleans St. James Infirmary, the original St. James Infirmary was in London. Some argue about which one was first the subject of mournful ballads.

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
649 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

I really prefer something not cookie cutter, but wanted an opinion of the St. James as far as locale, etc. that you touched on. I liked the Hilton when we stayed there, but just another Hilton. Will see. Thanks!

6. Re: St. James Hotel vs Hilton Riverside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:21