We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bourbon Street at night

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brookline...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bourbon Street at night

I'm being told by some friends that Bourbon Street is very dangerous at night. I'm wondering what the atmosphere is around 9 or 10 at night?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bourbon Street at night

it is a party place, lots of people, lots of movement, music and merry.

go and enjoy, don't be stupid and you will be fine.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bourbon Street at night

Have your friends who shared the advice actually spent much time there, or did they "hear" it too.

Bourbon Street is bar district on steroids. Many bars, lots of people, some of them over served. If you use your head you will be fine. The first 3-5 blocks from Canal, (upper Bourbon), can get a little dicey later, (after 11 or so), but I am comfortable on lower Bourbon, (Toulouse and below), much later. We are 50 something and enjoy Bourbon Street very much. Like other parts of New Orleans too but always spend sometime on Bourbon.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bourbon Street at night

Bourbon Street has high police presence. Except for petty crime such as non-violent pick pocketing and purse and cell phone snatching, and absent self-induced impairment, I consider Bourbon St. safe and not dangerous, particularly between sunrise and 11 PM. As KCK suggested, seek out FIRST HAND advice, not hearsay. Also, don't confuse the concept of "Bourbon Street" with the concept of "French Quarter". The "action" portion of Bourbon St. only makes up a small portion of the French Quarter.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
665 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bourbon Street at night

My own living room can be dangerous at night - and 9 or 10 is in not really late for Bourbon Street, in my opinion. The atmosphere at 9 PM, 3 AM, 8 AM or Noon is pretty similar to me. I'm just a recent contributor to this board and our first trip was just this last year - one of the biggest things that held us back was people crowing on and on about how dangerous it is and how horribly wrecked everything is after countless hurricanes etc. And these are life-long Chicagoans mostly....folks who I would think know better than to just mimic what the media mindlessly spews about towns and crime. As soon as I got back I couldnt wait to confront these people - we immediately fell in love with New Orleans and with the Bourbon Street area. I dont know how to reinforce this without sounding preachy or like a broken record but for the most part it is safe, and you can help yourself by staying somewhat in control of yourself by not getting passed-out drunk, etc. It is a very fun, festive area - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please go and have fun!

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bourbon Street at night

I have never felt threatened or unsafe on Bourbon Street. I have never seen any fights. My nights on Bourbon are generally over by midnight.

J H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bourbon Street at night

Its no more dangerous than your local bar

NJ
Level Contributor
235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bourbon Street at night

I would find new friends.

TFK

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bourbon Street at night

With all due respect - Thousands of visitors from around the world go the Quarter every year. Lots of them stay on Bourbon all night long. If you can, relax from the hysteria and go have a good time.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 00:31
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bourbon Street at night

With a little bit of caution and a lot of common sense you should be fine ( same advice I give to travelers to Baltimore). If there is any question take a cab to your hotel .

NJ
Level Contributor
715 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bourbon Street at night

It's dangerous. After just a few hours on Bourbon Street my head is swimming, speech is slurred and I can barely walk. Must be something in the water.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 14:52