We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Glen Gardner, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving in New Orleans

My husband and I are going to New Orleans for Thanksgiving and I was hoping to get some suggestions on where to eat and what to do that day. I see that most tours are closed. Any suggestions?

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Here is the Tom Fitzmorris' list from 2012, and it looks like a very good one:

www.nomenu.com/joomla1/index.php…

It appears you should book a reservation as soon as possible, some places, like Commanders Palace, fill up quickly.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Be aware the "Bayou Classic" football game between Grambling & Southern is that weekend, and crowds will be big in the French Quarter. Be sure to make reservations if there's a place you really want to eat.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

On a related note, where would I go around that time of year to try turducken? Doesn't have to be fancy and doesn't have to be *on* Thanksgiving itself.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

lol Rodent-the only place I've seen turducken (besides someone's house) is on TV. John Madden (NFL announcer on FOX) always had one at halftime on Thanksgiving. I've not seen it on any menu.

Emeril Legasse has prepared one for one of his TV shows. You might try calling one of his NO restaurants.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Rodent, I found this in Gambit...you might want to call to confirm it's true! :)

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen

416 Chartres St., 524-7394

www.kpauls.com

Served in the dining room on Thanksgiving eve only.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Rodent, go to the store and buy one to cook!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

mlarose, I can hardly make scrambled eggs. Just an ordinary turkey would be way above my talents, not to mention Turducken. Herm, I'll check out K-Paul's, thanks for the suggestion.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Rodent...there's no prep at all...it comes in a box and you just throw it in the oven, following their directions of course! We bought one one year from the Original guy's website (can't remember his name) and boy were we disappointed! Guess I just expected something different!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Herbert's is the original turducken place. If anyone is looking for turducken..... Just come to Houston! All of the meat markets are already advertising for Thanksgiving turducken orders. I tried Commamdrrs for thanksgiving last year and was pretty much laughed at! I guess the majority of the restaurant is filled with friends and family and they have a very few tables set aside for public reservations. They told me that those select tables are reserved several mos out and gone the day the reservations open for that time frame. We have however had luck with Mr B's for Thanksgiving the past few years.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving in New Orleans

C'mon Rodent I can burn water...but I actually have made a turkey and it was even edible! It really ain't that hard! I think you can do it!!!!!