We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

NC
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

We are going to New Orleans for our anniversary in December. I'm trying to decide between the two. They both offer Romance Packages but Hotel Le Marais seems to give more bang for the buck. Parking is a major concern. The hubs doesn't want the car in an open lot, but I think both facilities have garages. Pricing is about even, so that isn't helping. So if you had to choose, which one? :)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,467 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

I like them both, a lot. Both have great locations, giving maybe a very slight location edge to Omni Royal Orleans. Both use valet parking, Omni Orleans having an on-site garage, Marais using an off-site independently owned garage. Omni Orleans is an approximately 350 room "full service" hotel, while Le Marais is an approximately 70 room "boutique". The "typical" room at Le Marais will be somewhat larger than the "typical" room at Omni Orleans; read the room descriptions on each respective hotel website carefully; some, but not all or even most, Omni Orleans rooms are quite small.

At the same rate for similar rooms, I'd choose Omni only because I haven't actually stayed there before (have visited a room). Have stayed at Le Marais and very much enjoyed the stay.

Mentioned in this post
Omni Royal Orleans
Omni Royal Orleans
5,167 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

Normally we choose the boutique style but the elegance of the Omni Royal wins out.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

I've stayed at both hotels...the Omni Royal twice and the Le Marais once. I enjoyed them both very much. Loop is right regarding the size of the rooms...Le Marais has larger rooms. I liked the locations of both hotels. I loved the elegance of the Omni Royal and also the more modern decor of the Le Marais. If I had to choose between the two...I'd probably go with the Omni Royal Orleans....there is just something about it that I like better....its just a feeling....feels more New Orleansish to me; if that makes to you. Also I love the doormen there; especially Marty...he's a great guy. We were just in NOLA in August and stayed at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel...which is also a very nice hotel which I would recommend. While in NOLA we stopped to see Marty at the Omni to say hello. He informed us that he's retiring soon (don't actually remember when) but what an asset he is to the Omni and he will be missed. Good luck on your choice; I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel; its all a matter of preference. Have a wonderful trip. Andi

Mentioned in this post
Omni Royal Orleans
Omni Royal Orleans
5,167 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

I have not stayed at either one, so cannot comment on that (although both are on my "stay at" list someday). If you do decide to stay at the Omni, make sure to go to the Marais for a drink. Their bar and courtyard in the evening is soooo awesome! The colors are amazing!

But if this is your 1st trip to NO, I'm go for the Omni to get more of that NO feel.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

I haven't stayed at either but I personally prefer the location of the Omni Royal Orleans, right across from Napoleon House and just a few blocks from Jackson Square. Le Marais is a great location if you want to be up on the crazy part of Bourbon St (only 1/2 a block off, and the blocks are small) but personally that is a bit too close for me.

If you stay at Le Marais you'll be right down from the restaurant but DON'T eat there, it was on Kitchen Nightmares. However, if you stay at Omni Royal Orleans (or even if you don't) you're close to several of our favorites: Napoleon House for Pimm's Cups, Original Pierre Maspero's (interesting in a historic but also depressing way--it used to be a slave auction house), Camellia Grill for late-night diner-style (or breakfast) and Johnny's Po'Boys, where we've gotten breakfast to go several times. Of course, there are tons of great dining options in the city but these are all super-close if you're looking for convenience.

Mentioned in this post
Omni Royal Orleans
Omni Royal Orleans
5,167 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
12,755 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Camellia Grill
The Camellia Grill
1,047 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

Do keep in mind that Le Marais and Omni Royal Orleans are only two blocks (short blocks) apart.

Mentioned in this post
Omni Royal Orleans
Omni Royal Orleans
5,167 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

The restaurant Lydia alluded to was Oceana. She's right--stay away from it!

Mentioned in this post
Lydia
Lydia
Louisiana
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

I stayed at the Omni for Jazz Fest a few years ago and loved it. Never stayed at the Marais so I can't compare for you but wanted to comment on the staff at the Omni...they were great. For example, one day I went out for a run, was talking to the doorman for a bit while I stretched to warm up...and when I got back...he had a nice fresh bottle of water waiting for me. And agree with everyone about Napolean's across the street...very NOLA dining with great food and decent prices.

Level Contributor
86 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

The Omni has a really good restaurant and bar if you just don't want to go out one night. Their menu is on line and we find that after a long day sometimes it's just the perfect convenience.

MS Bulldog Belle...........in the 1970's the Pom-Pom squad at MSU went by the name Bulldog Belles.........connection???

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Omni Royal Orleans or Hotel Le Marais

actually the Rib Room at the Omni would not be on my restaurant list as its had a lot of changeovers and needs to smooth out some inconsistency.