We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

I'm attending a work conference later this month in New Orleans. It will be held at the Sheraton in the French Quarter (500 Canal Street), which is offering discounted rates for the conference. However, the price is still a bit expensive. I would like to stay at the Hyatt Place (881 Convention Center Blvd).

I have done my research and the Hyatt Place has received good reviews. It is also on sale at a great price for my dates. Is the area safe? Is it a pleasant walk to the French Quarter?

Any input is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

The neighborhood can be a little quiet on the pedestrian side of things. Not an unpleasant walk but not a very exciting one either. I'd have no issues at all in the daytime, but when returning to the hotel at night you might prefer a taxi, especially if you're on your own. Not because the neighborhood is "bad" or anything, just not a lot of pedestrians along the route.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

Thanks for the input. The Hyatt Place is offering an "autumn deal" on their website. The price is about half that of the Sheraton where the conference will be held. Definitely sounds worth it.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 21:35
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

I'm considering booking a hotel through Hotwire. The conference is at a hotel in the French Quarter. The hotel prices are more affordable in the adjacent areas. Would you recommend "Downtown New Orleans" or "Downtown South - Warehouse District"?

Thanks again.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

Atlgirl, Downtown (as defined by Hotwire) will probably be somewhat more convenient, while Downtown South (also as defined by Hotwire), which includes the Warehous/Arts District, will probably be somewhat "nicer". I wouldn't book anything through Hotwire that is not in the "French Quarter/Canal St." area, not that there aren't some good and relatively well located hotels in the other two mentioned areas, it's just that I would find PORTIONS of those two other areas very inconvenient lodging locations.

There is a reason the hotels further away from Canal St. are less expensive. The real estate is less expensive because these areas are further away from the most popular attractions, and therefore are much less conveniently located for their guests. It's really nice to have a hotel located close to most of your anticipated activities, allowing you to easily drop off purchases, pick up stuff, change clothes, freshen up, etc. Many of us on this Forum favor hotels located close to the place where we typically have our last nightcaps.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

I would avoid this hotel because once you reach the front door, you're still a LONG way from your room. There's a reason this Hyatt is inexpensive, the price is commensurate with the experience of staying there.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

PurpleinOpp, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Hyatt Regency by the Superdome? That place does take forever to get to your room, but the Hyatt Place CC is much smaller.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

Yes I was, please excuse me, and nevermind. I hadn't realized there was more than 1 Hyatt in NOLA. Thanks for the correction!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

The Hyatt Place seems to have good reviews. The walk also seems reasonable.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 04:59
9. Re: Hyatt Place_Convention Center Boulevard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:17