We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsanitary glasses

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
, NY
Level Contributor
124 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Unsanitary glasses

Just completed my first trip and had a drink at pat o briens ( main bar off St. Peter's) and observed the bartender after the patrons left take their glasses dump the ices/ sm liquids left and then proceed to I guess was a sink filled with water his arms made dunking motions for 5 seconds and then put these 2 glasses up on the shelf with all the other glasses .. I was appalled but kept quiet and left .. I've had the NOLA rumble since . ( Day 4. Hopefully ill loose weight) Got me thinking of those dive bars that we passed but never went into...only other non restaurant drink we had was at the blacksmith tavern ... Is this accepted practice ?? Does the board of health exist??

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unsanitary glasses

Hmm...automated glasswashers actually do just about that, I think it is a double dip process though, beer glasses really have to be clean to get the right head and not develop bubbles on the side of the glass (sign of dirty glass). Wasn't there and didn't witness it however, so you may be right.

I make a call when walking in any bar...glass or bottle only? If any doubt...bottle.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 20:56
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unsanitary glasses

Good call Fitch, true everywhere too.Even the best restaurants and hotels have sick staff on the job and can have bedbugs... Buyer beware. Geaux cups are always an option too.

, NY
Level Contributor
124 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unsanitary glasses

It was a single dip and was those hurracaine glasses. Unfortunately I drink scotch and water and not beer...will ask for plastic cup if am ever in NOLA again.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Unsanitary glasses

Classic

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unsanitary glasses

I used to tend bar part time. You have a sink full of water with a vertical brush attached to the bottom and a product called "one -step". It is an oxidizing cleaner which just about all restaurants/bars use for glassware. The dunking motions are when you scrub the glasses up and down on the brush, inside and out. It's been done that way for many years and works quite well; the glasses are certainly clean when you're done.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unsanitary glasses

I've had many, many drinks at Pat's and I have never had a dirty glass. If the sink is full of hot water, a brush, and antibacterial dish soap a couple of dunks should do it!

Edited: 06 October 2013, 23:08
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unsanitary glasses

if you were appalled by that, I hope you've never had coffee from a hotel room coffee pot!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,170 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unsanitary glasses

It's posts like this that could break me of my habit of licking elevtor buttons! :)

schmizer
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unsanitary glasses

Most bars use a dual detergent/sanitizer solution in a sink with a brush. Perfectly accepted and inspected by the health department.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unsanitary glasses

If the bartender made dunking motions for five seconds, he was doing it twice as long as I used to.