We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

started a trip report

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
started a trip report

Started my live trip report but its on the Louisanna forum and dont know how to move it. Will start on continue on here tmr.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: started a trip report

Here it is-I moved it for you-

Ok lets see how much i can keep this up. Day 1: bumpy flight but managed to catch a nap as we were quite hung over from two pithcers of sangria and too many fire ball shots back at our airport hotel. Landed to the most beautiful weather. 78, not a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze. Suppose to be like this for today and tmr then get hot again (mid 80s). Dropped our bags at the hotel st marie (LOVE) and headed out. First stop was Acme for oysters and beer. Loved the chargrilled but coulldnt get enough of the raw, so fresh and smooth i wanted more but decided to move on. Next stop Old Absinthe House just for one. Man that bar is so high you feel like a small child sitting on the stools. Off to Mr. B's just for appys. Chose the 1-1-1 appy and the 1-1-1 gumbo and soup of the day. Sorry but was not impressed at all. Place is beautiful and might go back for a sit down ful dinner or just wait for the seafood fest to try their bbq shrimp. Decided to just walk around afterwards and ended up at Cafe Benetes. Steamboat Willie playing, benetes, coffee drinks and we were happy. Really liked it there...the courtyard is wonderful. Decided to call it a nite and back to the hotel...yes we r getting old but we had a hard nite the nite before and now woke up feeling great and the weather so far is to die for, not a cloud in the sky!!! Off to Stanleys for breakfast, stay tuned....

p.s. tablet is hard to type on...sorry for the typos.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: started a trip report

don't worry about typos--just keep typing! :) Seems like you landed to perfect weather! Hope it stays that way (and I think it will!) Totally understand the "early to bed" thing the first night, as most of us don't sleep the night before leaving! LOVE Stanleys!!! But if you like eggs benedict, you MUST try Vacherie in your hotel! AMAZING!!!!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: started a trip report

I LOVE Vacherie! The last time we stayed at HSM we didn't even make it out of the Vacherie bar the first night we were in town. We had intentions of just having a beer or 2 before we hit the streets and we ended up chatting with the bartender, chef, and some local friends who were celebrating a birthday..... And stayed all night. We all got to talking about fried chicken and waffles and we said we'd never had them. The chef ran back to the kitchen and whipped up the best fried chicken I'd ever had and it wasn't even on the menu! He also proceeded to keep bringing out more food and desserts for us to all share! By the end of the evening we were all friends and were even invited over to one of their homes for chicken and waffles the next time we were in town. I have to say that EVERY time we stay at HSM, we make friends with the lovely people in the Vacherie bar area. The food in there is just as good as the sit down restaurant and you can't beat the company!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: started a trip report

what a great story, lynch! Our server, Daria, was just as sweet as she could be also! Even MORE reason to eat there! Wow...great story!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: started a trip report

Another Vacherie eggs benedict fan here! I had never tried eggs benedict before and loved it. I have since tried it once at home... it was horrible. Now I save that treat for my NOLA visits, along with the polpetta (sp?) omlet at Red Gravy of course. I look forward to more Elisabeth.

Karen

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: started a trip report

It was wonderful of you to stop and say hi, Elisa. Sorry that I was too busy to show you around the hotel, like I'd been planning to. I'm glad you loved Coop's and even learned a new word ;-) See you again on Friday.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: started a trip report

Hey folks, should we do some little meetup at the Seafood Fest on Friday. Elisa is going to be there all day, Soulcat and I some time after 2 o'clockish (once they leave their stuff at our place and we all drive there) and isn't Porelly going to be there as well? Anyone else?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: started a trip report

Glad you're finally in Nola and having a good time Elisabeth!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: started a trip report

Thanks Poole. OH RODENT IT WAS SOOOOOO GREAT TO MEET YOU!!!!! I felt bad that lady was waiting and to be honest those chairs were too comfy and we were afraid we wouldnt get up again. Lots of walking yesterday. Ok on to yesterdays events: started with stanleys for breakfast LOVE! had the corn beef hash and hubs had the eggs benny poor boy (thats what they call it not po). Waitress was orig from ny like me so we had alot to talk about. Then out to jackson square to watch a girl get arrested for fighging with skmeone and boydid she fgive up a fight with the cops, jumping out of the paddy wagon and everythjng. She was a crazy local and quite funny actually. Walked around ghe square in the park over to the moon walk, watched people getting on the morning Natchez,etc. Came back and went into the Cathedral, beautuiful!!! Went jnto the Prespetyre museum. Really interesting al about katrina on the first floor and mardi gras on the 2nd floor. Fhoe have origjnal crowns and outfits worn all the back to the 1800s. Really glad we went in. Off to Pirates alley for our first coctail of ghe day...and low and behold the bartender just moved here from ny so great conversation again. Shes in the music industry and toured with alot of famous bands all over the world. Great gal. After we walked down to the french market bought xmas gifts and myself a beautiful handmade sterling silver oyster shell pendant with a pearl on it and a fleur de lis...love it. Very beautiful and nicely made. Now off to find coops. Had the wrong street writtn down so we walked in circles until i finally asked someone..to be continued

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: started a trip report

gotta love those weirdos! Also LOVE the eggs benedict poor boy at Stanley's! Amazingly good!!

Sounds like another great start to a great day with lots of walking and conversations with fellow New Yorkers!

The pendant sounds very pretty. Even tho I'm not into jewelry, it still sounds nice! How was Coops?