We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktail Question

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktail Question

I have a low tolerance for alcohol and have always stuck with a glass or two of wine. I'd like to try some cocktails while in NO but have no clue what any of them are. I know I can tell them to go "light" on the portion of alcohol. So I'm looking for suggestions for some cocktails that do not have a strong taste of liquor and not too sweet.

Thanks.

k

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktail Question

Maybe a Pimm's Cup? It's not only light and refreshing but - because it's served in a Collins glass - it's also relatively a small portion.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktail Question

Thanks Rodent! I'll try it.

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktail Question

They serve pimms in a Collins cup?! We serve it long here in the UK. In fact in the summer it is often sold buy the pint. Serving it short sounds plain wrong :-p

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocktail Question

Pinchy, that will also depend on a particular restaurant/bar. But most often you will see this (not my picture, just chosen as an example):

…tastespotting.com/uploads/…420295.jpg

London
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocktail Question

I'm struggling to understand the scale in that photo but I think it looks smaller than what we're used to. I was looking forward to drinking pimms away from home (not many places in the world serve it) but it might disappoint us I think... ah well

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocktail Question

You have a cucumber slice in that picture, that should give you some idea of the scale.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocktail Question

Pimm's cup is a great suggestion. Pimm's is a liqueur so the alcohol content is pretty low. Excellent drink on a hot day.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocktail Question

I had a really good ginger Pimms at Bourbon O in July. I can figure out how to past a photo, but it was delicious! The bartender was getting ready to compete in Tales of the Cocktail and was trying out her concoctions. She harvested and made her own ginger syrup for the drink. It was a nice twist on the original and NOT served in a Collins glass. It was served with an orange slice and carved cucumber twist on the side of a water goblet...... Everywhere else I've had them I think they were in highballs/Collins glasses. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the quality of cocktails in Nola, especially if you go to the recommended establishments known for drinks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cocktail Question

Wow, love the idea of a Pimm's cup by the pint!

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cocktail Question

Thanks everyone, I'll def be trying a Pimm's Cup. Our trip is not until the week of Christmas but I'll report back.