We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 1, October 13th

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day 1, October 13th

After a week of being offline (I HATE computers when they don't work!) I'm baaaack!!! Sorry about the delay in the trip reports...but I'll start now, on a daily basis:

Day 1, October 13th

The day finally arrived. Gotta start with Toronto’s Pearson Airport, which has totally changed from when we saw it last October. Den, Kimmie and I arrived in good time and got thru customs in no time at all. We picked up six bottles of Bailey’s at Duty Free to bring down for our balcony gatherings. We went to our boarding gate…and there are no seats (you know, the rows of uncomfortable chairs) they have all been replaced by tables surrounding a large circular eating area. All tables have an I-Pad for every seat, where you can order, play online, do whatever. Wow! We were impressed. We sat (comfy chairs too) and ordered some pulled pork sliders (we ordered 2 plates to share coz we didn’t want to get too full…not knowing they sliders were the size of a 50 cent piece! LOL!) and 3 glasses of Bailey’s. Each glass had about a thimble full of Baileys. Total tab with tip--$72 bucks! Guess we’re paying for the renovations! The guy was nice enough to turn on the Green Bay Packer game for us (the bar’s circular area has about 20 tv screens!) so Kim played on facebook while Den and I watched the Packers. We ran out of Bailey’s in about 30 seconds (literally one sip!) so we broke out a bottle from duty free and proceeded to polish off the entire bottle while watching the Pack! (Den went over to Duty Free to replace it just before boarding). Time flew tho, so the renos were worth it! Boarded the plane, good flight, arrived early.

So…now we were back in New Orleans!!! We ran out for a smoke before gathering the luggage, got a cab that had the Saints/Patriots game on so loud it was impossible to have conversation. But we didn’t mind. We just enjoyed the ride into the Quarter!

Arrived at the Hotel Provincial to what is now like family! We were also met by Fitch and Izzy, Soulcat and BF, shorthly after by cinnimin and cinnaMom. After many hugs and greetings and getting settled in, we headed off to our first M&G at El Gato Negro on the back patio, where we were joined soon after by poole and DH, Rodent and DH, and then the infamous dolmatt and DH arrived. Such a pleasure to finally meet! Caila (manager of EGN) joined the group at the table for a margarita, making her an “Official Floker”! WOO HOO! We all ate, drank, talked and laughed. A beautiful get together. Unfortunately, Kimmie had been up most of the night before, HATES flying, is not good with heat and humidity like we are (and it was HOT when we arrived) and topped with a couple margaritas, she wasn’t feeling all that well, so after 2 hours, we opted to head back to the hotel and left the rest of the Flok to party. Jlr and DH arrived (as it turns out) about 10 minutes after we left, so we didn’t get a chance to see them that night, but would many times in the days to follow. We all called it an early night after a nightcap or 2 on the balcony. Seems we’d all experienced a long day and figured it was best to rest up before starting our first full day in NOLA!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Thank goodness your computer is fixed! Okay....keep going :).

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,806 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Glad you're back Herm! If we hadn't stopped to watch a second line, we would have made it to EGN on time! There are too many distractions in New Orleans..

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 1, October 13th

finally to hear from floker 1 or floker 2..too bad we missed it all but keep up the reports so we can live thru others experiences.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 1, October 13th

But dang those margaritas were good! I think we polished off about 4 each! It was super to meet everybody under such wonderful circumstances! Love and miss all of you!

We missed you too Mr. & Mrs. Cajun! October is less than a year away!!!!!!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 1, October 13th

It was nice, for me at least, to finally meet 61...and daughter, who showed up to drive him home. She is so cute!

The apps and margaritas were fabulous.....

You balcony flokers....met many of you for first time, but seemed like I'd known you for years by the end of the week. Thanks Herm and Deny for hall pass to walk through your room to the balcony on a regular basis.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Your first day sounds as if it was a perfect start to your trip. Can't wait to read more!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Have been looking forward to reading this report and you have made me smile and laugh already. I have a wonderful picture in my mind of you, deny, and kimmie drinking Bailey's from your own bottle at the airport. Can't wait to read the rest.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 02:58
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
85 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Glad that you have the computer back!! Great reading about the first few days that we missed!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 1, October 13th

Drinking your duty free at the airport...lol We could be twins!

Cheers

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,081 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 1, October 13th

I'm putting together a Flok4 Group e-mail list, Dave...you'll be getting an e-mail before toooo long!

Maybe we should fly thru Chicago? LOL!