We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

belated thanks...and trip report

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nj
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
belated thanks...and trip report

first off, thanks to everyone on this forum who gave me a tip and advice on music and anything else. this was a very short trip, just two days really...

first stop after check-in, as always, was the napoleon house. we delighted in the muffaletta just as much as 20 years ago. had our first pimms cup…well, cups…and headed off in search of blues on bourbon. the funky pirate fit the bill so well, first with mark and the pantones and then later with big al and the blues masters, that we ended up spending the whole evening there and some of the wee hours of the next day as well.

sunday led us to pat o’brien’s to meet up with some of the new orleans forum flok! you were warm and welcoming and a hurricane with you was the perfect way to start the day. onto the crescent city blues festival at lafayette park. drinks in hand, we wandered through the artisan booths, making purchases to the accompaniment of blues riffs. next over to the food booths….mr m had gumbo and crawgator on a stick, i had a pork taco with mango salsa and a black bean and corn salad. we shared a sweet (in more ways than one) potato pie tartlet. more blues with the lee boys on the big stage…and the gifted boy we mentioned in other threads — 10 year-old guitarist brandon niederauer.

back to the hotel and the bottle of french bubbly the staff contributed to our anniversary celebration before heading over to frenchmen street.

a quick dinner at the crowded and dark, but hip, coop’s. good eats: fried chicken, blackened redfish, creole green beans with bacon and one bite of rabbit jambalaya. we visited an artisan showcase set up in a nearby alley and found some great gifts for magicboy, including a cool sculpture made out of repurposed materials (shhh…it’s for christmas).

onto d.b.a. for more blues….and a dizzying list of over 200 beers. afterwards across the street to the apple barrel, probably one of the tiniest bars we’ve ever been in. found a seat at the end of the bar, enjoyed more music and met some chatty young men from the u.k. on a whirlwind trip through some of the best u.s. music cities. heading back to d.b.a. for one last drink, we met up with brandon and his father out on the sidewalk (he had just performed at one of the venues). we talked for a little while and made new friends with a group of men from the u.k. and portland OR. we never did understand how they all ended up traveling together, but we shared a drink and dance with them before heading back to the hotel, marveling at how quickly 3am had arrived.

our last day was spent strolling around the quarter, reliving old memories and re-visiting old favorites. we had one last mint julep, picked up some gifts for friends and headed out to the airport with heavy hearts.

special surprises: the trip to napoleon house interrupted by a second line dancing wedding party out in the street, a local high school marching band coming up the street outside our hotel led by two people on very tall stilts, that unexpected bottle of bubbly from the hotel staff, the new “friends” at funky pirate who told the band and the whole bar we were celebrating our anniversary and dragged us out onto the dance floor, took pictures…and then all joined us....and last but not least, the fun posters from this forum who made us feel immediately welcome at your gathering.

it was a wonderful, albeit too short, trip…. ….and we have vowed to never let so much time elapse before visiting again.

:)

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

does that mean Floktober 2014 could be in your plans??? Great report (altho your trip WAS way too short!:) and it was great to finally meet you too!

nj
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

we would love that, but we've got a boy with two senior trips next spring...disney and a band trip to germany and the czech republic (can you believe that overseas trip???)...then college next fall. i'm thinking we probably won't get there next year...but would love to join you all another time.

i agree! it was waaay too short...and it was great to meet you too!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

that's a LOT of expense there...totally understand! FlokFest5 it is then! :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

what hotel? review? Its easy to make new friends here ..we met a sister and brother from Honduras and ended up at Cafe Giovanni for dinner together.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

It was great to meet you, Magic, and I've enjoyed reading about what else you've been up to. :)

nj
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

we stayed at the prince conti....stayed there the first time over 20 years ago.....will write a review...promise!

rodent...it was great to meet you too!

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

Hi Magic! Such a brief trip but you packed a lot in. I've had 14 trips in the past 4 years and still cannot manage to hit all the venues I want. So happy you had fun!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

It was great to meet you too Magic and you and DH fit in perfectly!!!! Hopefully we'll all get the chance to do this again some time! Two days is a short time, but at least you packed it full of fun stuff! Thanks for joining us and for the great trip report!

Douglasville, GA
Level Contributor
283 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

Thanks for the great TR and especially the blues revues (I just had to!). I can't wait to get on Frenchmen St. as I didn't know about it last year. I've got a list of where to go and who to see; just hoping that it'll all fall into place where we are there (end of Nov.). Thanks again!

nj
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: belated thanks...and trip report

thanks, deny and takeme....sorry our meeting was so brief. takeme, maybe we can do a music meetup someday here on home turf! ;)

duncmelsmom...you will have a total blast. would have loved at the very very very least one more night on frenchmen. ah well...next time!

Edited: 30 October 2013, 21:59