We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

Put it on your calendar to visit next year during the Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park. This is perhaps the best little festival that I have been to in New Orleans. It is only going to grow from this point.

Lots of good food selections from some very interesting festival regulars. I had the fish tacos with black beans from Woody's Tacos, plus the chicken and sausage gumbo with greens like kale and spinach from the same place. Very interesting. Also a small cream cheese/pecan pie that was superb. The ya-ka-mein lady was also there and the lines were long at her venue.

Bands were great! They got better as the day progressed. Lots of superb music.

Not a huge amount of artisan booths, but there was a very good selection from those that were there.

The Louis Armstrong Park is also quite beautiful. This festival is only going to get bigger and better because of its great qualities.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

The bands *were* good? But it's still not over! I'm finding Baby Boyz Brass Band surprisingly good.

Voted for Woody's in the gumbo contest. Their Gumbo Z'Herbes was amazing and so were the turducken tacos.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

How long is the festival??

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

The festival runs for Saturday and Sunday around the second week in November. It is not huge like the Jazz Festival. More of a neighborhood situation.

I had the Gumbo Z'Herbes with the kale, spinach, and other greens, but I also added the chicken and seafood to it. The greens gave it a very interesting taste.

I wanted to hear the Baby Boyz Brass Band, but we ran out of time. Maybe next year......

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

I am not a fan of gumbo z'herbes, but my vegetarian dau. had it at the fest today and gave it two thumbs up.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

Two different stalls served Gumbo Z'Herbes right next to each other and they could not have been more different from each other. The one by Woody's Fish Tacos was spicy, flavorful and good. Right next to it, Bourbon House served a watery and flavorless version.

Good thing was that all of these were available in $3 tasting portions, so you could try several and really compare (especially with two people to share the little cup). Li'l Dizzy's was very good (my second favorite after Woody's), we also had one from a place called Dunbar's or something like that, and it would have been rather good but it was lukewarm. :-/ Wanted to try Brocatos Eat Dat, but they ran out.

Baby Boyz (nicely mixing brass with electronics) were my favorite as far as music. Bonerama was too "rock" for me (personal preference - even one guitar is too much for me and they had two).

As we were leaving, we had a very nice conversation with one of the art vendors, who turned out not only to make beautiful jewelry but also be a very compassionate and helpful human being and a real pleasure to talk to. :)

Edited: 11 November 2013, 20:16
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

Oh, I would forget, we finally met one of our forum posters, wdwlodgers, with whom we had been trying to meet up for months. We ran into each other on a random street as we were walking towards and they temporarily leaving the festival (the route kind of zig-zagged, so you could choose various streets) and then again at the festival itself. Wdw and Mr Wdw are both lovely people whom we hope to meet more often.

7. Re: Treme Gumbo Festival in Louis Armstrong Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17