We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Hi all. Making first trip to NOLA in January, over the MLK holiday weekend. The long weekend means that rates are a touch higher than usual. We are in our late 30s, getting away from the kids for a short break. We do drink, but aren't hard partiers. We plan to do sightseeing on foot and prefer an area that is safe to walk in at night (I mean before midnight on a weekend, using precautions - I am from Atlanta).

Looking at Jackson Square area - does this fit the bill? Enough removed from Bourbon St. to get sleep? Considering Hotel St. Helene or Hotel Royal. Other suggestions? We'd like to stay around $200 a night, but will go up a bit if needed.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

That's our weekend! At least for the last five years or so. We stay at the Place d'Armes, checking in on Thursday and out on Monday. Balcony or Courtyard rooms are always under $200 for that weekend.

The PdA is located on St Ann, just a few feet from Jackson Square. It's a block and a half to Bourbon, and no noise . It's a short 15 minute (?) walk to Frenchmen, and Decatur is a block down. One of the best locations in the Quarter.

Another highly regarded hotel in that general area is the Provincial. But basically, any hotel in the Quarter from Bourbon down to the river will be fine location wise. The French Quarter is very walkable and safe within the parameters you've stated.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Check out the Marigny as well. There are many B&B's in the neighborhood and it is a nice 15 minute stroll to Frenchman Street and on to the FQ. I've heard great things about the bike tours through the Bywater and don't forget about the streetcars, both are great ways to see parts of the city you might not see otherwise and get a feel for Nola life outside of the FQ. Have a great trip!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Thanks for the recs. Place D'Armes has nothing left for that weekend but interior or junior suites!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

The owners of Place dArmes also own three other hotels in the French Quarter - the Hotel St. Marie, French Market Inn, and Prince Conti (and they also own another hotel that is not located in the French Quarter, the Lafayette Hotel). You can check the rates for all of their hotels by going to the website: valentinohotels.com, put in your dates and see what is available. You are correct that the PDA only has interior rooms junior suites available, but you might find something else at one of the other hotels. The Hotel St. Marie is only 1/2 block off of Bourbon, but you won't be bothered by noise at all. We have stayed there 3 times and never had a problem with noise. We just stayed at the Prince Conti last month and had no noise issues, although we preferred the Hotel St. Marie. If you consider the French Market Inn, be sure to request a Marquis Room as they are newly renovated.

The Hotel St. Helene and Hotel Royal are seldom mentioned on this forum, so you might not get a lot of feedback about them. The only thing I know about Hotel St. Helene is that they apparently don't have an elevator and that bothers some people. I don't know anything about the Hotel Royal.

If you want to share your exact dates (Friday to Monday, Saturday to Tuesday, etc) we may be able to help you choose a hotel that suits your needs.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Thanks! Dates are Friday-Monday, the 17th-20th.

I'll check out that website. Willing to go up to $250 per night if necessary.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Update! I've done a bit of recon and have come up with a list of 5 hotels in our budget, that are to my taste and that have single queen/king beds available.

1. Maison Dupuy

2. Hotel Provincial

3. Prince Conti

4. Bienville House

5. Royal Sonesta

Even though Royal Sonesta is a chain, it seems to be in similar style to others on my list. These are are within $100 or so of one another for a three night stay. We'd be in a standard or mid-range room at these properties, no need for large balcony in January.

Thanks!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

I have not stayed at Hotel Ste. Helene, but because I so like the location I took my own tour, including rooms, during its most recent renovation a year or two ago. The TripAdvisor reviews, when taken as a whole, seem to capture the property fairly well. The location is great, in my opinion one of the best hotel locations in the City.

I'm not as familiar with Hotel Royal, but it has the same owner, and some of the same types of old building maintenance issues, as Ste. Helene.

If you go with French Quarter Inn (we stayed there last month), make sure you are getting a "Marquis" (recently renovated) room. I'd also check out Bienville House.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
317 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

LoopWhole - thanks for your input. I think we crossed messages (posted at same time). Given my email with my five choices, would you choose Bienville?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Yes, my last reply was made before your last reply. Royal Sonesta is a large full service hotel that is certainly "New Orleanish", but without the charm some find in the smaller "boutiques". Based on same rate and a "standard", but not "interior" (windowless) or "petite", room, my ranking of Provincial, Sonesta, and Bienville House would be about equal, my choice being driven by whether I wanted to be in the "upper" French Quarter (between Jackson Square and Canal St.) or "lower" French Quarter (between Jackson Square and Esplanade Ave.) during that particular trip, and whether I was in the mood for a large or small hotel. Many would probably consider Royal Sonesta somewhat superior because it has all of the amenities of a full service hotel.

I really like Prince Conti, stayed there last May, but not having a courtyard it lacks some of the charm of the others, and I personally prefer being on the River side of Bourbon St. Maison Dupuy is nice enough, and medium size, but although its location is acceptable, it just seems out of the way to me.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple in late 30s - Need Hotel Help

Hi ALW - I think you are making the right decision in choosing a different hotel rather than your first two choices - neither of them have very good reviews. Of the five you have listed now, you will probably get a lot of posters on here suggesting you go with the Hotel Provincial. Lovely hotel with old New Orleans charm. I have stayed there three times and always enjoyed it. It is not quite as close to Jackson Square as a couple of the others, but the location will put you in good proximity to both the French Quarter action and Frenchmen Street, which is a very popular street for music.

The Royal Sonesta is a beautiful hotel - the most elegant of all of the NO hotels I have stayed at. If you are looking for luxury, this would be your best choice of the five hotels you have listed.

Prince Conti - we stayed there last month. Our room was ok, nothing special. We stayed there because of the good rate we got. Wouldn't be my choice of the ones on your list.

Maison Dupuy - I haven't stayed there but the location is slightly out of the way. Wouldn't be my first choice.

Bienville House - haven't stayed there, but this hotel is on my list of places to stay. Looks very nice.

I think that most of the responses here will recommend you go with Hotel Provincial or Royal Sonesta,depending on whether you want French Quarter charm (HP), or luxury and Bourbon Street location (RS).

Let us know what you choose!