We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

Hello All-

I've been to NOLA a couple of time but my partner has never been and since we are staying in Biloxi for the holiday season, I thought a day trip could be arranged. However I've never been to NOLA during the Holidays and not sure if the French Quarter will be open and alive so that we can get the real experience.

Before you ask, we are staying in Biloxi for a trip and some gambling. I think the French Quarter would be the best place to go for the day but I could be wrong. Any tips or advice on a day trip would be appreciated as well. I like off the beaten path but since this is her first time I thought the French Quarter would be best.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

are you driving in? While I've never been to NOLA during the Christmas holidays, from what other posters say, it's beautiful and full of life. Most suggest City Park, altho I think just walking along Canal Street and looking at the decorations on the street and in the hotels would be amazing! Someday...we'll get there for the holidays!

chicago
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

I was majorly disappointed with Biloxi last year. Unless you're going to spend all day and all night gambling, I'd recommend spending the bulk of your stay in New Orleans, then heading to Biloxi for a day (Or just staying at the Harrah's in New Orleans.)

If you have just one day, strolling the French Quarter, checking out the artists at Jackson Square, taking a carriage tour, then shopping at the French Market would be ideal.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

I too am thinking a carriage ride through the FQ would be nice.

Karen

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

Thanks everyone yes we will be driving over for the day and while I would love to stay longer my vote isn't really getting far on this trip(lol). The carriage ride and shopping would be ideal then we can cap it off with a nice dinner!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,755 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

Well you wont have to worry about restaurants being open because most will be open on the 26th. In fact on Dec 25th Pat Obrien's is open all day. The one thing I will say is it seems you will only stay for the day in New Orleans. Very difficult to go to a place in the Quarter and not drink, so be careful especially if you are driving back.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

I agree with Jordan.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

Stroll the FQ, and pop into hotel lobbies to see their holiday decorations. Especially The Royal Sonesta, The Hotel Monteleone (have a drink at the Carousel Bar), and for the ultimate, The Roosevelt across Canal on Baronne (have a Sazerac in the Sazerac Bar, just off the lobby).

8. Re: 1 Day Trip on 12/26/13 to NOLA ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16