We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans Trip April 2014

Crayford, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans Trip April 2014

Hi All

This will be our first time in New Orleans and just wondered if anyone would be able to help with a few questions.

I'm planning a trip for next April for my partners 30th as a suprise. We are flying into Memphis on 20th April, staying there for 3 nights (hotel already booked.)

I have also booked our hotel for NO for 4 nights from 25-29 (driving back to mem for our flight home on 30)

So I have 23 and 24 to get from Memphis to NO and I was looking a staying in a plantation for one night.

Do you think it would be best to just leave early and get down to the plantation on 23 for the night. Then add another night on to our NO stay?

Or take our time and stop somewhere on the way for 23rd, stay 24th in plantation and then on to NO for the 25th?

Also my other questions are regarding the Jazz fest. We aren't massive Jazz fans but we like music and I think the atmosphere will be great. So I'm planning on buying tickets for one of the days. When do tickets go on sale and how much are they?

Are they likely to sell out or would you still be able to get tickets on the day?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated as I can't discuss it with my partner as want it to be a surprise!

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
718 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
950 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
131 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
456 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

Hi Holaddi - sounds like you have a great trip planned with two wonderful cities to visit. We have gone from Memphis to New Orleans many times. I would suggest that when you leave Memphis, go to Natchez Mississippi for your plantation overnight stay. There are many plantations there that have overnight accommodations. Natchez is a beautiful city to visit, and if you want to tour some of the plantation homes, in addition to staying at one, you might be able to have enough to fill two days. If you only want to stay overnight and aren't concerned about touring other plantations, then I think that just staying overnight would be sufficient. I would use the extra day and extend your time in New Orleans.

Another option, if you want to get an extreme contrast, would be to spend a night in an authentic sharecropper shack at the Shack Up Inn in Clarksville, Mississippi and then spend the next night in a luxurious plantation room. Check out the website for the shacks at shackupinn.com - it is an experience you will always remember!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

I've also done both Memphis and New Orleans in 1 trip, was great! When you're in Memphis, make sure to go to Silky O'Sullivan's on Beale St to hear a blues singer named Barbara Blue. She's fantastic!!

I would spend 1 night at a plantation (on my to do list someday) and extend your NO portion of the trip. 5 nights may seem long, but there is so much to do, it will fly by.

Crayford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

Thank you both for your replies. They are really helpful. Given me some more ideas to research!

Do you know anything about Jazzfest?

Maui
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

Holaddi - for Jazzfest

Your best bet is to go here - all sorts of info - http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

The earlier you buy tickets the cheaper they are - you can get at door. But another choice is if you are in town before it starts they usually sell tickets at Superdome and you don't have to pay Ticketmaster fees. Last year they went on sale somewhere around December if I remember right - I'd say tickets will be in the $60-70 dollar range.

The other thing to look at is this site - for the late night shows - http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/

There is more than just "Jazz" Music - walk around and let your ear be your guide. But a stop at Economy Hall Tent for Trad Jazz is great - the Heritage stage for some Mardi Gras Indian Funk will get you moving or a little dancing at Fais Do-Do. And the food is great as well.

Not sure what day you are targeting to go to the Fest - but you may want to wait until the lineup comes out and see when Midnite Disturbers are playing and hit that day. They are a super group of New Orleans Brass and Funk bands and it is a "moving" experience.They only play during Jazzfest. And if you can look for a night show from Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews and New Orleans Ave. - hit this show if you can - it's a party. Or any other show late night especially over on Frenchmen - nothing like walking out of a club as the sun rises in New Orleans with a big goofy grin on your face.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 22:25
Crayford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

Thank you for all the information didenver, I will definitely look out for those bands.

I've not decided what day to go to the festival yet so will have a look once the lineup is confirmed for each day. So excited can't wait!

One more question if you or anyone could help.

I've read it will be busy in restaurants due to the fest so best to book reservations in advance. Would we be able to book the day before or in the morning? Or would we need to book more in advance than that?

Not that I'm sure where I want to eat just yet! But looking at posts from the forum I'm sure there will be lots of places we will want to visit!

New orleans
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

The restaurants will be packed for Jazzfest. If you are a real foodie and have your heart set on a particular place, then you will want to book several weeks out if your heart is set on one of the to places which gets a lot of press. (For example if you are a John Besh fan and want to dine at August at 7:30 pm that weekend, it will be a tough reservation to get). That said, New Orleans is built to absorb big crowds so you will be able to find a great meal even if you hold off on booking.

Did you settle on a plantation? Natchez is great. It will take about an hour and a half from I-55 to get there so it is a little out of the way.

But for your plans to stay in a plantation, I would suggest you consider taking the train from Memphis to NOLA. It leaves early morning each day from Memphis and arrives in New Orleans around 1 pm. (check the amtrack web site for exact times). The station is in the CBD and its maybe a 10 minute cab ride to the hotels in the quarter.

Last piece of unsolicited advice -- we love JazzFest. The more research you od in advance the more fun you will have. The crowds are really big and it can be a little overwhelming to walk in late in the day if you don't have a plan. I always tell folks to get there early - when the gates open -- its not too crowded then and you can take in all of the food and art vendors and also get your bearings before the crowds roll in.

Good luck and have a great time!

Maui
Level Contributor
424 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

Getting a later reservation is a bit more trouble - early ones are fine on the Fest days- the Fest ends at 7 and it takes a while to get out and get a bus or cab. Usually you need a shower and change for the nicer places - so I'm usually looking at 8:30- 9 if I'm moving fast as is everyone else that is premium time. If you do have your heart set on a place - do it on a day that you won't be at the fest. I'd call maybe 2 weeks out or so for a big name place- or look at Open Table.

Restaurants are busy - but sometimes I've been able to get into a place late - they will stay open later because the cash register is ringing. It's Christmas in New Orleans during Jazzfest for most restaurants and bars.

8. Re: New Orleans Trip April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:17