We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

Taking our first trip to New Orleans in August. We will be staying for 4 nights/3 full days to explore. It will be myself, wife, and 1 year old daughter. I see that both hotels charge about $25/night for parking. We plan on doing the hop-on-hop-off bus tour, a swamp tour, and visiting some places of interest we see on the hop-on-hop-off tour on our last day. What hotel would work best for us?

Place d'Armes - Deluxe Room $87/night

Hotel Provincial - Standard Room $94/night

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

The Place D' Armes is more in the middle of things but still very quiet. The Provincial is in the lower Quarter so would be a little more of a walk.

I have never stayed at the Provincial but at the Place D Armes several times. The rooms at the PDA are comfortable and the pool is small but nice.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

Comparing the Provincial to the PdA as to "What would work best?" is a matter of degree. A difference of maybe three blocks. On that basis alone, the PdA would probably "work better" by the slightest of degrees. If other amenities enter in, then careful consideration is suggested.

For example, with a one year old, will you be using a stroller? The courtyard at the PdA is bii-level, but does have a ramp connecting the two levels. As the PdA is contained in several buildings, accessibility varies. In the main building, there is an elevator. Other buildings are two stories, with no elevator. Upon reservation, your preference should be indicated. Although never having stayed at the Provincial, my understanding is that it very similar with miulti-buildings and some with elevators, others not.

Being less than a half block from Jackson Square is also a plus for the PdA. A good place to be with an infant-toddler. Some shaded areas, with interesting views.

Bottom line however, is that you won't go wrong with either hotel, and there would be no need to second guess your final choice.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

kjoster hit all the points but we go to PDA since it is so better located to what we personally prefer to do but you can't go wrong with either.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

I have stayed at both and prefer the rooms at Provincial but think that PDA has the best location for us. Both are good, you can't go wrong with either.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

The last 8 times in New Orleans I have stayed at The Provincial. I love the hotel and it is a four minute stroll from Place (we timed it). Place has a great location...but I wouldn't give up my Provincial for anything!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

I've stayed at both. Both hotels are great, but I have a preference for the PDA. Location can't be beat, and the courtyard at the PDA is the prettiest in the Quarter in my opinion. It's very relaxing. Both have a continental breakfast, the Provincial's is a bit better though, more options.

Everything being equal, I'd choose the PDA.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

my vote will always go to the Provincial. I've never stayed at PDA and doubt I ever will.

8. Re: Hotel Provincial Vs. Place d'Armes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:19