We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commander's Palace Dress Code

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Commander's Palace Dress Code

Was just wondering what exactly the dress code is for Commander's Palace. I'll be heading down to NOLA on Saturday and plan to stop there for lunch one day with my girlfriend. I've read that the dress code has changed somewhat from what it once was. What should we be planning to dress like for lunch?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Commander's Palace
Commander's Palace
8,076 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

no shorts, no jeans. I'd suggest a sports jacket for men, dressy pants or skirt or dress for women at lunch.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,027 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

Direct from their website:

"Shorts and t-shirts are never allowed. Jackets preferred at dinner. Men must have closed-toe shoes."

Even thought that is only one sentence and only addresses a couple of conditions, to me it really sends the message of "Hey, we're an upscale dining experience, one of the finest in the city. Please dress up and not "down" if you're going to join us".

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

"Shorts and t-shirts are never allowed. Jackets preferred at dinner. Men must have closed-toe shoes."

That's cut/paste from their web site.

I was there Monday for lunch. They do not ban jeans but you probably wouldn't want to wear them there as you'd stick out. I'd guess 1/2 the men had a jacket. Jacket definitely not necessary for lunch. A decent botton down collared shirt would be fine at lunch. No jacket still okay to get in but less fine at dinner.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

Per their website

No shorts or tee shirtss, prefer men wear jackets at DINNER, and men must wear closed toe shoes. Basically, business casual at lunch is fine.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 17:37
NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured business casual at lunch would work, but like mentioned the description from the website is not very detailed. Had no plans to wear jeans or anything like that just wanted to get a feel for what is typical.

Thanks!

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

Sorry, I should also ask, unrelated to the dress code, is a reservation needed for lunch?

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

I made reservations and while I don't know for sure if that was necessary or not it appeared every table was taken so I would say to make them. I was there on a Monday and I'd have to assume Saturday would be more busy.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
547 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

On our most recent trip there we had only one free day and tried to get reservations. None available for that specific date. My suggestion is to make the reservation now for the day you think you will need it and cancel if necessary. I wish we had done that but we had little idea how busy we would be.

NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

Perfect, thanks everyone!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
809 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Commander's Palace Dress Code

When we had dinner at CP last week, I was very surprised at the lack of jackets or even nicer business casual attire for men. In fact, that held true at all of the places we had dinner: Clancy's; Muriels and Brigtsens. Less than 50% of the men had jackets or dress shirts and slacks. Saw polo shirts and khaki at all places. DH wore his jacket, dress slacks and collared dress shirt [no tie].

He did enter CP's wearing a hat [a french cap] and before he even had a chance to take it off at the hostess stand, he was told to take it off. A bit off putting.