We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

We have a 15, 16 and 20 year old who love music. Are they allowed to be in the clubs like the Spotted Cat, Kermit's Treme Speakeasy, Blue Nile, Pat O'briens, etc?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

Kim--I don't know about the clubs you mentioned but your kids will be allowed in Pat O'Brien's eating area only. You have to be 21 to sit in their court yard with the fountain. The food is surprisingly good at Pat's too believe it or not!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

Legally you have to be 21 to be in a bar (and Pat O'Brien is no exception). But we have heard on this forum about some places letting in older kids with their parents (Fritzel's for example). If the establishment has gaming machines, it's a definite no. But you might have luck if it's earlier in the evening, and depending how busy it is too I would think. I say try, all they can do is say no.

I noticed during my trip last month that Maison Bourbon had a couple of those bar high tables located just at the doors, so technically the people who are sitting on the outside are not officially in the bar. Parents can sit inside, kids out. It's a smart idea actually.

And there are places that have music that has no age limits: Preservation Hall, the Gazebo and Market Cafe's (these 2 are restaurants/bars that have daily live music), and also Café Beignet on Bourbon St.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

My teens like RocknBowl. They are welcomed there and the music is great.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

I also understand it to be a rule with video poker machines. If the machines are on-site and visible to any patron, no one under 21+ will be allowed in. If they are "hidden" (as is the case with most restaurants) then it's fine. Your best bet will be to try to find restaurants with music.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

I'm pretty sure legally they have to be 18 to enter a bar(not restaurant/bar, but just a bar) and legally 21 to purchase alcohol. Legally, a parent or spouse over 21 can purchase alcohol for minors over 18 if the bar permits it. In Texas the minors don't even have to be 18..... Kids can legally drink at any age if the parent is over 21 or if a over 21 spouse allows it!

That all bring said..... In Nola I have had my kids 15, 13, 13 in many bars and nobody has ever said anything unless they have video poker machines, in which case the kids will have to stand with their toes in the opposite side of the yellow painted line in the doorway! The other exceptions have been the Frenchmen St bars that strictly enforce a 21 and up rule!

Oh, and my kids LOVE Rock N Bowl on Thursday nights too!

Edited: 24 November 2013, 14:24
6. Re: What clubs are teenage friendly w/parents?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17