We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay for 1 Week

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay for 1 Week

Hi All

Its been a while since I was on the forum but we are now planning our 2nd trip back to NOLA!!! I need your help/suggestions in finding someplace to stay for 1 week in the French Quarter. It will be for 4 adults and would not be until Sept 2014 so lots of time still. I know this is a touchy subject but why is a vacation rental home frowned upon? We have stayed at the Monteleon before and loved it but we wish to try something different. Love the haunted history aspect as well and there was another hotel in the Quarter that is believed to be haunted is it Hotel St Marie?

Thanks for your help.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

"Vacation rentals" are frowned upon because they don't legally exist in New Orleans. In order to rent a condo or apartment, you have to do so for 30 days in the city, or 60 days in the French Quarter. Anything else is not permitted by law. Such rentals are not licensed, inspected or insured to protect the renter so buyer beware. Our neighbors are in a lawsuit over such a rental which went wrong last year...the guest has significant injuries and the owner's insurance doesn't cover paid short-term rentals.

VRBO, HomeAway, and Craigslist just chock full of people violating the ordinance but the city is making efforts to crack down. Whether or not it will have any impact remains to be seen. There's also the possibility that the city may create a "vacation rental" category to go ahead and legalize/tax such rentals. It's still up in the air!

SO, hopefully that answers your questions!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,780 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

I won't comment on Vacation Rentals because I know nothing about them, but you can check here about them and call them up if you desire. Go to the Vacation Rentals tab here on Trip advisor and give some of those places a call or write an email asking if you could book for a week with them.

If you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Monteleone, you could stay there again or try some others like Dauphine Orleans Hotel, The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel, Hotel Mazarin, etc

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60864-New_Orleans_Lo…

Edited: 07 December 2013, 13:48
Newington...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

We will be in NOLA the same time as you. Sept. 2014. I rather stay at a hotel. This will be our second visit. Can't wait! Now to find flights and hotel, even though its way early.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

Thanks JJNOLA. I never really understood the whole vacation rental thing (in NOLA) so this makes total sense. I think that it would be best to avoid. So many great hotels to choose from and who wants to be stuck in a kitchen when there is so much awesome food out there :)

kitty i hear you! Sometimes the planning and the researching can be as fun as the vacation. September seems soooooo long away.

jordansbull I will certainly check those out!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

Nannger, try Chez Nous b&b. They are close to Frenchmen Street, have a 2 bedroom unit with full kitchen and since they are listed on a couple New Orleans b&b websites, I would imagine they are legal.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

Here is a link to legal short term rentals that are recognized by the city.

www.nola.gov/short-term-rentals/

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

a great hotel choice is place d'armes which is affiliated with the st Marie..almost every place has a haunted story or two and the tours generally have a story on the place d'armes.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

I would also suggest the Place D'Armes hotel, it's a great location and is my favorite! Their courtyard is the prettiest in the Quarter.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

Hey Nan! Long time no hear! Nice to see you're planning another trip to Nola! Supposidly the most haunted hotel is The Hotel Provincial (my fav). We have stayed there many times though and have never been haunted--and I am thankful for that! Hope you have a great time!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Stay for 1 Week

Thanks everyone!

Great to hear from you Deny777. Looks like I have alot of reading and catching up to do. Great way to spend my time :)