We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hayden, Alabama
9 posts
Save Topic
Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

I am a fried chicken junkie! I have heard the fried chicken there is the best, maybe of anyplace. Is it that good? A must eat? We will be in on the 1st for the Sugar Bowl and I need to know if I must make a trip there. Thank You.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

Haven't had Willie Maes fried chicken, but you have to go a LONG WAY to beat the fried chicken at Dooky Chase! Miss Leah (at 90 years old) still fries it herself. She is an amazing and charming lady!

Edited: 15 December 2013, 15:43
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

Dooky Chase and Willie Mae's are just a few blocks apart. Eat both and compare ;)!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

next time I want to try Willie Mae's so I can make the comparison. It will be HARD to beat Dooky's!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

This is fried chicken area and Willie Mae's got a big postkatrina hype but it is very very good...spicy and crispy but there are a number of places I would rate as good..there is a pretty good list at nomenu.com..and yes cookie chases is also very good.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

I'm an old dude so have had my share of fried chicken in the past. After finishing a plate of Willie Mae's chicken back in May, I nearly wept. Yes...it is that good!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

It's good. So are a dozen other places in town. I wouldn't discourage you from going but it's not a "must do" in my mind, especially considering the rough neighborhood location.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

As mentioned by others, NOLA has a number of excellent choices for fried chicken. The restaurant reviewer for the Times-Picayune has given the chicken at Joey K's on Magazine Street top marks as well. It's on our list for our next visit -- may or may not make it to Willie Mae's.

8. Re: Is the chicken at Willie Mae's really that good.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 06:18