We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
plummer, idaho
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

Hello,

My friend and I will be in New Orleans in January for a Thursday and Friday night before getting on a cruise. What are some good places to go in the evenings for live music and dancing. We are staying at the Chataeu Hotel but don't mind walking.

Thank you

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

For a great collection of clubs in a small area, check out Frenchmen Street about 5 blocks downriver from your hotel. You can walk the street, observe from the sidewalk and decide where to duck in for a set or the evening.

Thursday is also Zydeco night at Rock n Bowl, so if there is a good act there, it'll take a cab ride, but mighty good two-steppin' and waltzin' to be had.

plummer, idaho
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

That sounds great, thank you! I just checked the Rock n Bowl schedule and it looks like Chubby Carrier will be playing that night. Is he someone you would recommend seeing? Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

You can stumble into a lot of options along Frenchman Street. I highly recommend that you do that and visit a few stops.

But my other favorite is Preservation Hall. It does not matter who is playing, it will be good. It will be an authentic experience. I recommend you pay more for the VIP seats. Arrive early so you can get a drink to bring in from Pat O'Briens as well (they do not serve).

I went to Rock n' Bowl and thought it was OK but kinda big and crowded and less intimate than the other places mentioned will offer. If you do head in that direction, then shrimp n' grits at Ye Olde College Inn was a surprise favorite dish.

Best,

Rachel

www.postcardplans.com

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

"Is he someone you would recommend seeing?"

Oh, yeah!

Here's a little taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfIbl1OU01g

Try to keep your feet from tappin' or your booty from swayin'...

5. Re: Fun places for a night on the town and listen to live music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18