We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in NOLA!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas in NOLA!

We will be in NOLA from Dec. 25th through Dec. 30th.

Can anyone tell me if there is any "must do's" or special events that happen during the Christmas holidays that we shouldn't miss? We were there in July and had a great time, but this is a last minute trip, and I'm trying to plan things out. So far, I haven't planned anything...ugh! I don't need to have a strict itinerary, but last time I was pretty organized with something scheduled each day, and then just walking around and exploring in between. I think I need to get on this soon!!

We did a tour with Southern Style Tours in July, but this time we are bringing our 22 y/o daughter, and I thought she may enjoy it, so maybe we'll do it again. Segway's are a definite, but that's all I have planned so far. In July we did Cajun Encounters Swamp tour and loved it, but we'll pass on it this time.

Restaurant suggestions - especially for Christmas Day?

Thanks!!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Lots of info here-

http://holiday.neworleansonline.com/

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Mass at St. Augustine is wonderful, regardless of whether you are Catholic or not.

Paragould, AR
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

If you are wanting reservations for dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas you should do it ASAP. Pickings are already pretty slim.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Thank you all! The link is very helpful jlr51, and you are right momjeeps, pickings are very thin and at this point, I think we will be eating potato chips and subs in our room! I'm really trying, but coming up empty handed. We aren't looking for a $75 p/p dinner, and it seems that anything else is not an option.

I'm still searching for more Christmas Day dinner suggestions if anyone has any. I'm getting desperate!

Thanks,

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Here's something that was on NOLA.com today, a list of some restaurants open on xmas day.

nola.com/dining-guide/…incart_river

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Well, if you aren't looking for a gourmet dining experience, Daisy Duke's is open Christmas Day. We've eaten there several times and found it solid and satisfactory but certainly not a spot for serious foodies.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Was just on Margaritaville's website, they are open on xmas day as of noon.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

I'm going to check out the link tomorrow morning Poorley, thanks for posting! I was out all day doing last minute shopping, so this weekend is my weekend to finally plan this trip! I did make a reservation at Oceana just so that we had a place to go. I read the reviews, and although it may not be anything fancy, seems as if the food got good reviews. I'll be looking more tomorrow. I don't think we will be interested in the Reveillon dinner though. We have Margaritaville here in South FL., so since I have I'd probably keep Oceana first. Thanks for the suggestion though Porelly.

Lilidalla, Daisy Dukes almost looks similar to Oceana, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

Lorikim, Oceana was featured on Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares a couple of years ago. Although it has many good reviews, it's been brought to attention by several TA regulars that some of those reviews have been written by one-time posters and thus may be a little suspicious in nature. We have only dined there once and that was more than enough. But if you feel that it's your best option, I hope it will be a good experience for you. Have a wonderful trip!

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in NOLA!

I did a quick check to look at Oceana's latest reviews and many of them seem legitimate. Hopefully it has improved since the Nightmares episode. Good luck and again, happy travels!