We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

I'm extending a Friday business visit to New Orleans (mid-January) with a personal stay, Sunday 12:55 pm MSY departure.

Staying in Lower Garden District and will have a bicycle. I've toured the French Quarter before but not the rest of the city. Planning to take a long, all-day urban bike ride on Saturday with touring stops. Architecture, history, sarcophagi, gardens (if worth touring in January) are all of interest. I've found bigeasy.org for bike map and route suggestions, but am open to any additional tips y'all might have. Live music at convivial bars is the evenings plan. (Blues, jazz, rock, zydeco, etc. -- very eclectic tastes.) From researching prior threads here and other sources, I've penciled in Candlelight Lounge on Thursday eve., Magazine Street Fri. eve, and Frenchman Street Sat. eve., but am open to suggestions (and will check the Times-Picayune website for performance listings, unless someone has a better sources).

But the specific question that prompts this post is this: From the NY Times "36 hours" series, I have the suggestion to attend the 10 am Sunday mass at St. Augustine's in the Treme. (I'm not churchgoing but would be respectful, and I take it from their website and the NYTimes that touristic attendance is welcome.) Obviously, the timing's tight with a 12:55 pm departure, but is that feasible? One smallish bag and boarding pass will be in hand, no compulsion to stay to the end. Taxi stand nearby? Other church that would work better, or should I just have brunch somewhere instead?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

The 10 AM mass at St. Augustine's is a moving and entertaining experience regardless of whether of not you are "churched". The Parish (congregation) and neighborhood is very welcoming to all. However, the mass lasts almost two hours; seems much shorter, but it is what it is. No cab stand nearby, but on Sunday morning you could PROBABLY get a quick pick-up by calling United Cab (be sure to have a precise street address) at 504-522-9771 or 504-524-9606. Might be able to flag down a cab on N. Rampart St.

What music venues are you considering that are located on Magazine St? For blues, jazz, rock and zydeco, don't rule out Bourbon St. Easiest to use music listings that show the music genre were at http://www.offbeat.com/ (OffBeat magazine) but the "Listings" portion of the website seems to be acting up right now. But the OffBeat mobile app seems to be working just fine.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

If you do decide to go to St Augustine's, which I highly suggest you try your best, go early. The choir practices right before church, so that way you'd get to hear more of the singing.

You could make arrangements to have a cab pick you up directly at church maybe around 11:15, 11:30 so that way, you'd get to experience most of the service.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

Thanks y'all. Still haven't decided about St. Augustine's but I'll play that by ear. As to the question at #1 re Magazine Street venue, I'm thinking maybe Tiptina's (blocks from Magazine, I know) for Feats Don't Fail Me Now. I love Little Feat (though I only saw them live at the Clinton inauguration festival). How's this tribute band, if anyone knows?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

The house of blues also has a gospel brunch on sunday. Not sure of the times. Its fun

5. Re: New Orleans lagniappe -- bike where? gospel church?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 07:18