We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

Rockledge, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

We went to NOLA from 12/22 to 12/25 but before going I thought I had done my homework on hours of operation, fees, etc for each of the items listed on the Power Pass.

Power Pass is a one price-save you money on 1, 2, 3 or 5 day visit. IT REALLY DOES SAVE YOU LOTS OF MONEY IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON VISITING AT LEAST 3 OF THE SITES but what they do not tell you until you ask is, they don't control who is open or when they close.

There are 7-8 Louisiana museums (including Children Museum), and even though the sites say they are closed for Holiday, they neglect to tell you that they are also closed THE DAY BEFORE and about 80% of all the sites are closed on Mondays.

I called each sites listed and got their holiday hours, which were shortened or closed, to see if the Power Pass was worth the expense. Ended up it was worth seeing the Aquarium, doing the Bus Tour (3 hours), the Paddle Boat excursion (2 1/2 hours) and the World War II Museum (2 hours).

Good idea to buy a full day pass for the bus/trolley for $3 per person-good for 24 hour period

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
FreeWheelin' Bike Tours
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Paragould, AR
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

That's a bummer that you lost out on your Power Pass. We went the exact same days and had a really good time. But it we did miss out on all the museums as well. But we hadn't had serious plans anyway so it wasn't a big deal. We probably would have gone into the WWII Museum had it been open. All in all we had a good time. But I'd definitely recommend more days on one end or the other if someone goes at Christmas to allow for closings.

Rockledge, FL
Level Contributor
11 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

I guess that it would have been better to cancel the trip until Spring but when you have paid for airline reservations in advance, this is not an option. The granddaughters still had a good time as I created a scavenger hunt for them with pics that I took when I was there in August. They all "won" so everybody got some spending money-Never a loss when we share time with the girls.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

A lot of people find the power pass isn't worth it in NO as you have to provide you own transport to all these places, and most people don't bother getting a car while in NO. I had really looked into it for my 1st trip, and couldn't find a way to make it work.

Hopefully you were able to enjoy the other parts of your vacation. Most people who go during the holidays really enjoy it.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

As porelly indicated most of the time it's not worth it and very few posters liked it due to various reasons and there are discounts available from various sources.

5. Re: Christmas Trip to New Orleans-Don't do it!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17