We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Christmas is over. New Years is next week. 2014 is around the corner. After booking our trip 7 months ago, the excitement is building. Arriving February 27, departing March 5.

So our Carnival Countdown is 63 days (darn, that still seems like a long time away.) Staying at The Monteleone, have reservations at Commander's Palace for dinner one night, and no other plans at this time except for watching parades, listening to music, walking around the French Quarters, enjoying local food and looking for places that serve adult beverages.

So who else is going for Mardi Gras? What's your Carnival Countdown?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

As of today, it's 65 days!!! We arrive March 2 and we're just soooo excited!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

I arrive feb 28 pray for my liver

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

I hope our dear Roseann of Red Gravy fame will not mind me mentioning that she's going to be in the Krewe of Nyx parade on February 26th (Wednesday). If you're already in town then, please support our person there. I definitely will. :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

I also hope she doesn't mind my mentioning that March 4th (MARDI GRAS DAY!) is also her birthday!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Ha! Yes, I'm riding with the Krewe of Nyx this year, on the 26th! We have 1200 people in our Krewe and there are 63 people on my float. We'll have a mega float! What's better is Mardi Gras is my birthday this year!

A heads up for people coming into town regarding restaurants - Do your best to plan ahead! You'll find that many places have altered schedules to accommodate parades and visitors. You may also find that there are many altered menus, as well. I normally do dinner three nights a week...but if a parade is rolling on Canal, I, like most other places, serve 'street food style'. Tables outside for grab 'n go is the way many places along the parade route work. Be prepared with cash since many places opt for cash only during Mardi Gras.

Bathrooms - there aren't many. Last year was the lowest number of portopotties I'd ever seen. Uptown, along St. Charles, people will rent one for the duration of Mardi Gras, but they keep them locked, for their own private use. Downtown, you might have to pay a few bucks to use one. Please please please, don't go into a restaurant to use their restroom! Owners are trying to conduct business with a wilder than usual crowd and it would be helpful if you didn't add 'policing the bathroom from non-guests' to the list. If you offer to buy something, buy it first, and then, the bathroom is just for one person, not the whole posse. Restaurant owners have an obligation to keep the bathroom stocked, clean and working properly for the guests.

Service staff - cut them a break and tip them!! Everyone from the bell hop to the waiter to the cab driver is working double shifts during this time. We want to see to your pleasure and ensure you have a good time...but please remember the toll it takes on the people who are serving you.

Dress up!! Costume!! and please....keep your clothes on and don't use the street as your bathroom. NOPD arrests for such behavior!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Leaving in 7 days for a long weekend, (beginning of Carnival, Joan of Arc parade), then back on Feb 27 for a week. Had planned to go on the 26th to see Nyx but a mandatory meeting has to take precedence, so DH will go ahead and I will join him the next day. Depending on how things work out we may pop down for Krewe Du View parade, (an absolute hoor), but that isn't a certainty yet.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Some particularly good tips from VeraBlue. Lovely Wife and I will be in New Orleans from the afternoon of the 27th through the morning of the 5th. I anticipate suggesting a TripAdvisor French Quarter meet-up sometime mid afternoon on the 3rd (Monday - Lundi Gras - no afternoon parades); I'll start soliciting suggestions and ideas on Twelfth Night, January 6, the beginning of Carnival.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
444 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

We are sneaking into town just before the run up to Mardi Gras, 3-8 Feb, so our countdown is 39 days!

CT
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

I can't wait to be there on 2/28- I can't believe it's almost time!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's Your Carnival (& Mardi Gras) Countdown?

Thanks all for the great info. Maybe you can help with this ~ how do you know what time to make a dinner reservation for if you plan on watching parades. For example, on Friday, Feb 28, there are 3 Uptown parades starting at 6 PM, 6:30 PM, and 7 PM. Assuming we are near the CBD and FQ in a place that gives us a good view, and we want to see all of the parades (is this possible?), then what time should we plan to make a dinner reservation? 8 PM, 9 PM, 10 PM? Or on Sunday, Bacchus starts at 5:15 PM. But what time would it end to plan for dinner?