We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
538 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Thursday Dec 26th, 2013

Got up at 6 am for a friend to pick us up and take us to the Megabus stop. Got to NOLA at 2:30 pm.

Went to Hotel Mazarin which is an excellent hotel and put our stuff in the room.

Hit up Chase to get cash and went straight to Jagerhaus to eat for my german infatuation. Had a chicken schnitzel on rye and Monchshof Schwarzbier which was a dark beer.

Afterwards went to Tropical Isle Original on 600 Bourbon Street for an original Hand Grenade which was kinda sweet but decent, never had one before so wanted the original.

Afterwards went to Big A Beer to buy a 70 oz beer souvenir mug and this thing is a monster, cost 20 bucks for the souvenir.

Went to room for 30 minutes and out to Pat O'briens for a hurricane and then Lafitte's Blacksmith ShopBar for a hurricane to see which I would prefer. I would take Lafitte's over Pat Obrien's anyday.

Went to room with wife then we both went to Acme Oyster and I got fried shrimp platter and boo fries and my wife got the Shrimp Po-Boy. Both of which were excellent choices especially the boo fries which has like some chili on them and the shrimp sauce they use for the shrimp burns thru your nose pores but was delicious. Afterwards went to room to call it a night especially for me with the drinks I had.

Friday Dec 27th, 2013

Woke up got breakfast at our hotel which was Hotel Mazarin, which was eggs, bacon, sausage, the whole 9 yards. Afterwards, my wife chilled in the room for a little bit and had to send off some invoices for work. Meanwhile I then went off to the National WW II Musuem and stayed about 3 hours it was an excellent museum and I highly recommend it.

Went to room for an hour and then out to try Channing Tatum restaurant Saints and Sinners. I got the drink Between the Sheets and for food the Red Beans and Rice. My wife got the Silk Panties and for food the BBQ Shrimp and Grits.

Afterwards went to Lafittes Blacksmith ShopBar for a hurricane for my wife. Afterwards, went to the French Market and saw the Old US Mint. Went to Jackson Square and saw the St Louis Cathedral and then went to The Original Cafe Du Monde. Afterwards got a few souvenirs and went to Southern Candy Makers to try some candy.

Went to room and then to the 21st Amendment for drinks. Walked over to Washington Square for some soap hand made and then went to Deanie's Seafood and I had the fried shrimp platter which was excellent and a hurricane.

Saturday Dec 28th, 2013

Left on the Megabus back to Houston.

All in all, I will say whenever I come back will need to stay a minimum of 3 days and probably up to 4 to 5 days. But will probably use Megabus from now on.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

oh yeah, two days is definitely NOT enough...it's worth it to take an extra couple days off work, esp. when you can get there so inexpensively with Megabus! At least you had fun for the time you were there, and tried a few different things! Thanks for sharing!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Sounds like a good 2 days but definitely, at least 4,5 days is needed to really see and appreciate everything.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Hope you enjoyed a good meal at Jagerhaus! I love that place too! We'll definitely have to go back on our next visit! Ahhhh a hurricane. That sounds good about right now! Glad you had a good time!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Yeah I think any time I go back now it will be a minimum of 3 days but probably 4 to 5 days depending on who is going and what other trips I have planned for the year. I kinda rushed this one because got a good hotel on Cyber Monday for cheap and had already went to Berlin in October and Vegas/Grand Canyon two weeks ago, but been wanting to go back. Probably will make it a habit of going at least twice a year.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
26,478 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

Glad you had a great stay in NOLA and yes you do need at least 5 days to enjoy.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

My trips have been 8 days each, and I never got bored and I still have a long list of things to do. One year I would like to do a two week or even a month long trip.....but then I might not come back.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

"One year I would like to do a two week or even a month long trip.....but then I might not come back."

I doubt that would be the case, kayak! It would only make you want your next trip to be six weeks or perhaps two months! :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

I guess if you can rent an apartment for a month for like 700 that would be cool.

9. Re: Trip Report - Dec 26-28, 2013 (New Orleans)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20