We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,480 posts
588 reviews
Save Topic
Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel when in NOLA?

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
718 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
950 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
131 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
456 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

Both. I always check directly with the hotel's website before booking through a 3rd party site, which is sometimes cheaper. It's almost always cheaper to book the Valentino Hotels (Place d'Armes, Hotel St Marie, Prince Conti and French Market Inn) directly through the hotel website.

Seems you've been bit by the NOLA bug Jordan.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,996 posts
1,464 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

We always book directly with the hotelier, but do hear of great deals (plus some horrible stories) with 3rd party organizations. We just go with what has worked well for us, over the decades.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,480 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

Trying to plan my next trip, but the hotel site seems to be more expensive, so just want to check to see if I booked thru a 3rd party it it would be good? Thinking of an all guys trip so upgrades really don't matter. Probably would be sometime in May, so I got time.

Edited: 30 December 2013, 04:12
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

For New Orleans, I always booked directly with the hotel before I moved here. I wanted to stay in a small hotel, which isn't even listed on most third party sites.

For cities where I don't have a particular hotel preference, just the area, I use Hotwire.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

In this internet age, I now always book directly with the hotel, New Orleans and otherwise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
456 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

I search the third party sites, then call the hotel directly. Most hotels will match or beat the best prices found online.

Cheers!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

Back in the 'olden days' I used to book through Expedia. Then I found out that they were tacking a surcharge onto the room price.

I now check with a travel consolidator site or two, and with the hotel's own website. 95% of the time the hotel site is cheaper, and may offer discounts or specials, that the consolidators don't mention. And there is the fact that you booked directly with the hotel, and not through a third party, which is more beneficial for upgrates, etc, and much easier to deal with any reservations snafus or room preferences that may arise.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

I always check the third parties, then call the hotel and ask if they can meet or beat it. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they even advise me which third party to use.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
411 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

When I booked our trip for the last week of Carnival, I checked both the hotel site and then the group of third party sites listed here. At that time, the direct site for The Monteleone listed rooms as "sold out," yet all of the sites listed on TA had rooms available at an average rate of approximately $410 per night. I then checked bookit.com and received an average rate of $205.00 night (half of what the other sites quoted,) so I immediately booked it. I probably should have called the hotel first to see they would beat it or match it. Some third party sites will tack on an extra fee, so you need to be careful.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you book your hotels via 3rd party or direct with hotel?

22 years in hotels.

booking through a 3rd party is never good.

-shows no loyalty

-shows that you're not a traveler

-shows that you don't care about the hotel, so why should they care about you

-room type is never gtd

-room placement is usually bad - bad views, near elevators, ice machines, etc

-you have no recourse if you cxl or something goes wrong.

-you'll never get anything 'extra' just because they can (ie upgrade)

ALWAYS book the hotel direct. and signup for their loyalty program. i