We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with casual dining!

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Help with casual dining!

Ok, my head is spinning! After researching for hours ( and hours and hours) to find the right B&B, (we settled on B & W Courtyards) I am lost on all of the dining options. This is our first trip to NOLA.

The main reason we picked New Orleans is the food. Is it me or are a lot of the top rated TA restaurants on the expensive side?

We will be there for three nights in March and I'm looking for what you think are the best places for po boys, jambalaya, shrimp creole, etc. All the local specialties we can find at a few Cajun places around here, but I'm sure are nowhere near the quality we can find during our visit. We are pretty casual, so we're not looking for a five star restaurant with linen tablecloths. We will not have a car, so anything that's within reasonable walking distance of B&W will be great. What would be your ideal food itinerary for a three night visit if you were semi-new to the cuisine? I can already tell you that Central Grocery is already on our list. :)

Also, what is the best haunted tour?

Thanks in advance for stopping the spinning! I'm driving my husband nuts with all the websites!

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
Union City...
Level Contributor
85 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with casual dining!

New Orleans has so many dining options it is VERY difficult to narrow down the best, however here are a few favorites of mine. Palace Cafe on Canal, The Gumbo Shop in the FQ, Felix's for charfrilled oysters(I dream of them) its across from the more popular Acme on Iberville in the FQ. And take the street car or a taxi and try Cochon Butcher for lunch. I could go on but there are so many. And if you plan on going to Central Grocery for the Muffaletta, there are better ones. My pick for poboys would be Parkway Bakery. Have fun! I cant wait to get back to NO myself.

Union City...
Level Contributor
85 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with casual dining!

*chargrilled (not charfrilled) sorry

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
46,103 posts
1,480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with casual dining!

Many of the top-rated NOLA restaurants ARE in the "fine-dining" area, BUT considering a US "destination dining city," NOLA is very inexpensive - compare to NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago or Miami. Dining in NOLA is one of the best culinary "deals" on earth, IMHO.

With that said, it is also one of the best cities in the world for great, though not "fine-dining," that you can find.

For a great take on some of the dishes that you mention, I would look into the Bon Ton, but check their days of operations.

Personally, I also like Chef Emeril Lagasse's take on several, and have enjoyed them at both his eponymous restaurant, Emeril's and also his NOLA. For a unique take, I also like MiLa - husband/wife chef team, where she is from LA, and he from MS. You will not find that most places.

Those are all below Galatoire's, or Commander's Palace, so probably considered "upscale local," or some similar term. For a unique, and true NOLA experience, I am still a pushover for Galatoire's, but gentlemen MUST wear jackets for dinner, and it is not inexpensive, though still a deal, compared to most destination cities. Restaurant August falls right behind them.

Enjoy!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with casual dining!

consider Frank's or Napoleon House over the overhyped and over advertised Central that is not what it used to be although the stiff attitude has remained the same.

Montreal
Level Contributor
565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with casual dining!

we liked coops a lot in the fq. it holds alot of controversy on the list though...hehehe... there was a big discussion about it a while back...lol. people seem to love it or hate it:) if you're not big eaters, share an app and a main plate. huge amounts of food! try the duck quessadila. it was so good! so was the jambalaya.

we both live and eat mainly in the marigny while we visit but some of the places in the fq that we want to go to this time are Cane and Table, kingfish, st.laurence resto and bar, Felipe's Taqueria, Café Amelie, Mister Gregory's, and EAT. we also really want to do the jazz brunch at buffa's this year. we hear it's a fun atmosphere.

although i can't personally vouch, they get great reviews on yelp and one food blogger or another has reviewed them.

my personal favorites that i'm following (thanks to suggestions on the forum from various peeps) are nola eater which also delivers a lovely little newsletter every week and the nola defender food section. both are great sources for new openings and buzzed about restaurants. Yelp has a very active new orleans section too. i tend to plan alot of bars and shopping with it alongside restaurants. i bookmark all the places we want to go.:)

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with casual dining!

I agree that Central Grocery may be the most advertised but not necessarily the best IMO. We like Napoleon House and Johnnys, Vacharie and Red Gravy (on Camp ). For a little upscale Hermes bar has wonderful food.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with casual dining!

When in NOLA we often have our bigger and more elaborate meals starting between 1 and 2 PM. Lunch offers a much better value, and it somehow seems more special to be pampered during the middle of the day. For our later meal we seek out the places offering upscale apps and small plates, like SoBou, Three Muses or Hermes Bar at Antoine's, or a burger at Yo Mama's. For a vey casual breakfast, our current fave is Johnny's Po Boys; wonderful biscuits. Red Gravy is a Forum favorite for medium priced breakfast, brunch and dinner; check the website for particular serving hours.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with casual dining!

Since we prefer cold/room temperature muffulettas, we are still Central Grocery patrons. Get 'em to go and enjoy for a picnic River side if the weather's good; take 'em to Harry's Corner bar if you want to eat inside.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with casual dining!

Inexpensive, good food.

Napoleon House (500 Chartres) for muffalettas ( I like mine warm).

Coop's Place (1109 Decatur) for jambalaya, fried chicken, crawfish dishes.

The Gumbo Shop (on St. Peter) for gumbo, jambalaya, red beans & rice.

Mona Lisa (1212 Royal) for good Italian food.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with casual dining!

Thanks, everyone! I have a great list started!