We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

I'd like to rent a car on a Saturday in New Orleans to drive out the Laura Plantation for a tour. It appears that most if not all of the car rental companies in New Orleans close by noon or one, preventing customers from renting cars on a Saturday to drive out to the Plantations or Swamp Tours. And they're completely closed on Sundays! Does anyone know of any car rental companies that rent cars for single weekend days in New Orleans? Being a bit cynical, I have to wonder if there's a conspiracy between the tour companies and the car rental companies so that tourists will have to pay the tour companies at a rate of $80-$100 a person to get a tour of a plantation that would otherwise only cost $20 per person if you get out to the plantation on your own.

Alternatively, anyone know how much a cab or limo to the Laura Plantation might cost each way?

Thanks.

Jay

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

Hardly think there is a conspiracy. If there was enough business to be worth it, the car rental companies in the CBD would stay open on weekends. Like many cities, the 24/7 car rental is at the airport. I have found similar hours at off airport locations in other cities.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

Did you try the car rental center at 1317 Canal? I think they close at 5 PM, don't know about weekends.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

Cajun Pride does tours with transportation for $54 per person (adults) and $47 if you book online. So if there's 2 of you, Jay, you could book the tour for $94 for 2 and not have to worry about driving or returning a car. Just a thought.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

I'm pretty sure that it's a conspiracy involving the large gas companies, that has to be why the only plantations open for tours are so far from the city. Right? Also probably something to do with the Illuminati control of car rentals and tours.

Maybe not.

Cheers!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

I'd recommend just shifting your itinerary or getting a car from the airport... It's an easy drive and a nice area to explore on your own vice a tour. I'd recommend driving by Oak Alley as well if you're out that way. (You can see the alley of oaks and the mansion from the road for free.)

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

enterprise will come pick you up. the rates are not that bad. we usually take the one on barronne and they come get us in the marigny. if you pick it up on a friday and drop it off on a monday at the same time as pickup, the rate is only 98$ so it's not terrible and is cheaper than taking a tour if you're going with another person.

if you go with hertz i've seen it as low as 63$ but you'd have to go pick it up yourself and the location is in harvey, la. on the up side, by booking the car for more than 1 day, you can do some more exploring

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

jessicat, if they rent from friday to monday, they'll have parking fees for 3 nights, that can get expensive.

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

Eh didn't think of that if they are staying in the French quarter. We have free parking on the street where we stay:)

9. Re: Renting car in New Orleans on a Saturday to visit Plantation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:17