We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Hi,

We are an active couple who are looking for plenty of things to do on our Honeymoon.

We like to explore places and see the sights.

Whilst we want to have quite a busy honeymoon, we also want a couple of days relaxing on a beach.

- Are there beaches within New Orleans and would it be sunbathing weather in July?

- Is there enough to do in New Orleans for two weeks?

We are from the UK, so totally unfamiliar with the area.

We are also considering Las Vegas and New York, or maybe somewhere like Texas or New England.

Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

- Are there beaches within New Orleans and would it be sunbathing weather in July?

New Orleans is a river city in the middle of swampland, not a coastal one, so you'll have to go outside the city for beaches. A lot of people go to the Florida Panhandle for beaches. Weather will be hot and steamy in July. The average high is about 90 degF with high humidity, so be prepared.

- Is there enough to do in New Orleans for two weeks?

I think so, but 2 weeks in NOLA in July does not sound like fun to me. Just too hot. With 2 weeks you could split up your trip with some time in New Orleans and some along the coast.

Whether New Orleans is a good place for you to take your honeymoon really depends on what type of honeymoon you are looking for. The places you are considering are kind of all over the map - geographically and with regard to the type of location, type of vacation they would offer.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Thank you.

If we split our one between New Orleans and a beach location, is Florida the easiest area to get to?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
97 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Destin area in Florida is only a four hour drive from New Orleans. Get a beachfront condo.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

July will be very hot, both in NOLA and at the beach. Often the midday is too hot to go out on the beach, so you'll want to find something else to do in the heat of the day. The Florida and Alabama panhandle beaches are quite beautiful with "sugar sand." Orange Beach/Gulf Shores in Alabama is quite a bit more honkey-tonk than the Florida beaches - Ft. Walton, Destin, Santa Rosa, Grayton, etc., aka "The Emerald Coast." The Alabama coast is known as the "redneck Riviera" for a reason - but it can be a lot of fun. If you go there be sure to check out the Florabama. Grayton is a very nice small community next to a state park - with more houses than condos and fewer people on the beach as a result. For a relaxed "nothing to do but sun on the beach (or whatever LOL)" time, it is much nicer than Destin with its high rise condos, IMHO. If you do rent, Goatfeathers is a great seafood store on 30A east of Destin.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

BTW, as I have not been to the panhandle in the summer for several years since we off-loaded the kids, I had forgotten about the June Grass, a seaweed that intermittently appears during the warm months. An advantage of a resort like a Destin high rise will be a pool in the event that the water is too green with the plants. Otherwise, try to rent a home with a pool, just in case.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
301 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Why not split up your two week honeymoon and spend a few days in each location - fly into New Orleans rent a car and drive 3 hours to Orange Beach Alabama (my favorite beach) for 3 days. Drive back to spend 4-5 days in New Orleans. Then fly to Vegas or New York for the remainder of your honeymoon and fly home. Each destination in unique in its own way and would make a great honeymoon if you can afford the extra money for flights.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Thanks for the tips.

I think we are going to split the vacation.

We were considering New Orleans for 7 nights and then Vegas for 7 nights, but may change this for the beach for 3 nights, New Orleans for 4 nights and then Vegas.

I'll have a lion at the suggested beach resort now.

Thanks!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Pensacola Beach is by no means a fancy destination, but it is nicer than Orange Beach. And it's closer to New Orleans than Destin.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
757 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Thanks.

We have decided to do either Nashville or Memphis, New Orleans and then Las Vegas.

We are going to sacrifice the beach I think.

Union City...
Level Contributor
85 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there beaches in New Orleans? Suitable for honeymoon?

Nashville! I live between the two and would not go to Memphis unless I had to. Nashville has much more to offer and much safer and nicer. Just my opinion.