We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Every time we mention were going to Nola people say watch your back. Why is this?

We are 30-40 something's, two couples.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
716 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Probably because they've never been to Nola and have no idea what they are talking about. Use common sense just like you would in any metro area.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

If you are going to spend a lot of your trip in the French Quarter, as most first timers do, it is quite safe as long as you use common sense.

Don't be stumbling drunk at 3 AM, in some dark alley. If you have had too much to drink, call a cab (they are cheap - United Cab-504-522-9771)

Don't flash a lot of cash.

Stay in a group,

Be aware of your surroundings.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 00:29
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Because they believe everything they read or hear, whether there is any truth to it or not. Just come on down and have a great time!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,125 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Ask them, not us. That's a serious reply. Ask them if they have ever been, and if so, what kind of safety issues they encountered. I'd be curious to hear what they say.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Not sure who "everyone" is but I think you can see from the vast majority of trip reports and posts on this very forum that NOLA is a pretty swell place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,340 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

You will be fine enjoy NOLA.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

I too have wondered about the people who say things like that. And I too have noticed that it usually comes from people who have never been to a particular destination. I have concluded that it is not out of any safety concerns for the traveler, as I have observed that the naysayer will always come up with reasons a traveller shouldn't go; terrible traffic, bad weather, or just rude people at the destination.

So thinking more about the situation, I realized that travel is not to everyone's liking, but they feel a sense of being left out of something, and have to give rational reasons for their lack of travel experience. In fairness, to someone who has not travelled, it can be a daunting proposition. In addition, the how and why of travel is a learned skill, a skill some may never learn.

And of course, I could be totally wrong; I'm just offering random thoughts.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

It is very hard NOT to enjoy New Orleans; one trip and you will be addicted like the rest of us.

And then you can go back and set the naysayers straight.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
714 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

Unless they tell you to "watch your back" no matter where you go (which is by itself good advice anywhere), its coming out of ignorance and they are trying to force their bias on you.

Union City...
Level Contributor
87 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers, why is every one telling us to watch our back?

I have NEVER felt unsafe in New Orleans and mostly traveled only with women there. Now, I would definately not be in a dark side street alone late at night but nor would I be anywhere else. But, on another note, if anyone approaches you on Bourbon wanting to clean your shoes, keep walking, they won't hurt you but will try to scam you. That is the only "bad" thing (and not even really bad) that I have ever encountered in this fabulous city. Just have fun!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana