We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

Just seen the line up and excited that a life time dream of attending a New Orleans Jazz festival is around the corner. Before I book my tickets, flight and accom I would like to get some advice on the following:

- What are the best value for tickets to buy if I intend to attend both weekends.

- Any recommendations to where to stay over both weekends would be apprecated.

- Recommended things to do in between the two weekends (Tues / Weds / Thurs) - (I dont drive).

- Places to eat / drink / lsiten to music / visit which is off the beaten track (i.e. local favourites which arent well known).

Any information would be highly appreciated. Looking forward to warm sunshine, southern food, local beer, rum, variety of music and new friends.

James

Maui
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

If you are going both weekend - and don't need a VIP (Grand Marshal pas allows up front to stages) - then this is your very best bet

The WWOZ Brass pass - www.wwoz.org/support/join-wwoz/brass-pass

Edited: 16 January 2014, 16:27
london
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

Thanks for the info diDenver. I was wondering if the day tickets for $50 allows one to watch the headliners for each day. In addition, which safe, budget accommodation places would you recommend.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

There will be music at various clubs every night between the weekends. Closer to Jazz Fest check out www.jazzfestgrids.com for a listing (right now it still has 2013 information on it).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

You may consider trying to rent a vacation home or condo instead of a hotel as they will get very pricey for that length of stay. Lots of people rent their homes for special events like Jazz Fest. Also, you will find that most places in New Orleans are a short, inexpensive cab ride away, if not a streetcar ride. Depending on where you end up staying, you may even be walking distance to nice things to see. This is such a great time of the year- you are going to have a blast no matter what you end up doing.

If you like formal events, one of my favorite things is Zoo to Do. It is a great way to taste delicious food from tons of New Orleans restaurants and see the beautiful Audubon Zoo at night. It is a bit pricey, though.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

The Brass Pass is totally worth it if you are going both weekends. Doesn't cost much more than a ticket every day (especially when you factor in Tcketmaster service charges), and the perks are totally worth it. Being able too cool off and hydrate in the tent probably saves me at least $10 that I'd otherwise spend on drinks at the food booths.

london
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

So much great info, thanks all. Really cant wait...........any suggestions for the 4 days in between the two Jazz Festival Weekends. I unfortunately don't drive :-(.

On a spate note which areas in New Orleans would be best to locate myself to be close to the Jazz Festival venue and French Quarter. Also is walking safe late at night through the local neighbourhood.

Maui
Level Contributor
375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

For the days between there are plenty of music shows around town - go to the www.jazzfestgrids.com link wookie has above.

Other things we do

Ferry over to Algiers Point and visit Old Point bar

The Zoo and Audubon Park

Wednesday night at Lafayette Square

City Park

Cemetery tours

Walking around photographing things

Eating at nice restaurants

I'd select Warehouse area or FQ or home/rental near Frenchmen

Good night shows at several locations in Warehouse and very good restaurants

Frenchmen street clubs are a giant music hub and lots of late night shows

FQ is in the middle of the two so that makes it convienent

You ride a cab to Fairgrounds and one back or ride the bus and it's pretty easy - it gets quiet out near Fairgrounds after 8PM but people do stay there

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

Festival Archive should help give you some info on their page here (festivalarchive.com/event/…).

You'll want to book accommodation now if you haven't already as prices only go up, almost daily!

I hope you enjoy the festival.

Paul

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

Just to echo the Brass Pass recommendation, Buying advance tickets for all days both weekends (with the ticketmaster charges) comes to nearly the cost of a Brass Pass anyway. But with the Brass Pass, you have access to their tent (with misters, iced coffee, chairs, fresh fruit, etc.) AND part of that money goes to support WWOZ!!

10. Re: New Orleans Jazz Festival 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:19