We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guess where I'm making groceries today

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Guess where I'm making groceries today

Yesterday, Circle Food Store finally re-opened. I've heard a whole lot about the quality of groceries there, about its important role for the community etc, but what I (and probably most of us) most know this store for is the fact that just about every article or documentary about Katrina had that picture of the store on the corner, surrounded by flood waters.

It was abandoned for years, it was some time last year that they started working on it again. I've been passing it on my bike trips a lot and followed the reconstruction/rebuilding process, even took some pictures when it was half way there. I'm so excited to see it back up and running.

Yesterday had a big re-opening, with the mayor etc. Just called and was told they're open till 8.30 today. I'll be there. :)

Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
720 reviews
from US$176.00*
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
952 reviews
from US$48.00*
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
133 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo, and...
461 reviews
from US$14.99*
US$26.50
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
456 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

What did you buy?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

I saw that on NOLA.com. I was actually surprised at my reaction to the article. Yes, anybody who's read a few articles about Katrina knows about Circle Foods. I was soooo glad to see it re-open.

You do know Rodent, that we're all living as "locals" through you, right???

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

You're right Porelly - we're totally living through you Rodent! Keep em coming!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

The store looks really good!!! It was stock-up time for us on lots of basics, so we bought a lot. Highlights included white chocolate bread pudding flavored coffee (private brand, $3.99 for an 8 oz bag), 33c grapefruits and a nice variety of cheeses. Meats look fresh and local. There's a deli section with a place to sit down and have ... well, mostly several varieties of chicken from what I saw, but coffee as well. Really looking good so far!

Porelly, I'm not surprised at all that you reacted emotionally to the article. I had a big lump in my throat when going there and my eyes were feeling strangely watery. It's more than just "any" store. :)

And speaking of shopping - since it's our first Mardi Gras season here, we were at first a bit confused about where to get good stuff for decorating our place on the outside. Yesterday, we went to a huge warehouse-size store that is all dedicated to exactly what we were looking for. Plenty of stuff for the home and lots of ridiculously cheap masks (99c-$1.50 for some really cool ones) for us!!! It's called Mardi Gras Spot and it's on Toulouse, a block and a half lakeside of North Broad.

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

Gonna make groceries at the Circle today or tomorrow...so excited!

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

All this time I thought "making groceries" meant cooking! I am astonished to learn it means shopping!

7. Re: Guess where I'm making groceries today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:18