We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Thank you for everyones input and help.

We booked our flights and will be there for 4 nights (2 of which are Musicfest)

We have a booking at Drury hotel.

Many hotels in FQ are sold out the 2 nights of festival or really high $$

I will keep looking and reviewing options but in meantime have secured a booking. We could use a little exercise wearing off the good eats and drinks :)

With the wifi included and 15 min comp call to Canada every day is a nice perk to contact our kids since our first vacay away from them. Breakfast included is nice too. Not concerned about kickback hour as we plan to fill up on local cuisine

BTW does anyone else use the spice for cooking called Slap Ya Mama??? Tried it over the holidays at a relatives who picked it up at wallmaet in NOLO (big container) Quite tastey!

So after you take taxi to hotel, check in hotel, unload bags where is your first go to place or thing to do, or eat or drink??

Edited: 18 January 2014, 22:57
Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Are you referring to French Quarter Fest or Jazzfest? I use "Slap Yo Mama" Cajun Seasoning which now comes extra spicey and also salt free variety. Most of the Convenience stores carry it but least expensive at Rouses grocery stores. There is a very nice large Rouses close to your hotel at the corner of Girod and Baronne. Another smaller one in the French Quarter at the corner of Royal and St Peter Sts. BTW there is also a Cajun spice called "Punch Your Daddy"! My first stop is at the nearest establishment that serves Abita Amber on tap. Get it in a "Go" cup and head to the Quarter.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

We will be there for Quarter Fest.

Thanks for letting me know where to buy it as they had a car to drive to Wallmart

Punch your Daddy haha. Is it much different in taste. Will get both!

Since you like spices any others you stock up on? (Marinades, rubs, hot sauce, or sweets)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
456 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

palmtree,

Congrats on your trip!

Drury Inn is fine, and the location isn't bad at all. DO join the Drury frequent stay club thingy and they will send you a free room upgrade.

I like the salt free Slap Yo Mama too, and I bring home plenty of spices each trip.

And the first thing that I do depends on the time of my arrival, but eat, drink, sleep covers most of it....lol.

Cheers!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

You will love FQ Fest. Numerous stages of free music. Food and beverage booths scattered thruout the Quarter. When your tired you can duck into a local establishment and have a few beverages. I like Crystal Hot Sauce since it's local. There is a spice counter in the French Market that has numerous spices, marinades etc. I haven't checked recently but the music schedule should be out soon www.fqfi.org

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,554 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Good for you enjoy it and have a blast in NOLA.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Thanks everyone! Excited but information overload when you have never been.

Ok i have crystal sauce. Slap ya mama and punch your daddy on list to buy. Any others??

What other items are must buy to bring home souvenirs food etc.?

We will have tues and wed to enjoy before Quarter Fest so i am thinking these would be the days to tour the FQ before the crowds come in thus-sunday.

What areas should you not venture to ? Meaning sticking in touristy areas but whats not?

Jewelry not to be worn? Purses?

Besides a PO BOY on my list and few spots to get one is there other dishes we need to try? Ie jambalaya? Oysters. Turtle soup? Gumbo?

All taxis at airports are safe to get into to be taken to hotel? Average with tip costs $40 for 2 people and its a 1/2 hour drive?

If we had a 12noon flight RTN home on a saturday would 9:30am leaving hotel in a taxi be enough time? We always arrive at least 2 hours in past for airport in case of security delays or traffic.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

For souvenirs, try the French Market; they have everything, including spices.

The Quarter towards Esplanade Ave. is quiet and more residential, with great architecture. I wouldn't go above N. Rampart St. unless you are going to St. Louis Cemetery #1, which is safe. The Quarter itself is quite safe, and I would imagine there will be increased police presence during French Quarter Fest.

Just use common sense; don't flash money, keep wallet in front pocket, don't leave purse unattended, etc.

As for that food list, try them all (there is no "le" before jambalaya); use the Restaurant search feature on this forum to decide which is best for you (location, price, menu, etc.).

Yes, taxis are safe and you have the correct price.

Your leaving time schedule looks about right; it's the same as I would do. As an alternative to a regular taxi, check out:

Henry Lee Tennessee, (Transportation Engineer Extraordinaire) 504-236-7294. Schedule with him about a week ahead of trip for airport pickup and the return trip plus any significant trips planned for during the trip. Same rate as taxi you get when you call. Difference is that his service is 200% dependable and his SUV is spotless.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

9:30 AM Sat departure will give you plenty of time. 20 min to airport if little traffic. Definitely try char grilled oysters at either Drago's, Acme Oyster House or Felix's. All of these have raw oysters plus gumbo. Many places serve sampler platters. Airport cabs are safe and have been upgraded over the last few years and that price is right. I only take one form of ID, one credit/ debit card and enough cash to get me through the day. I avoid Burgundy Street at nite. Stay with the crowds, well lit streets, usual big city precautions.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

Thank you so much!

Therefore the walking from Drury to and from FQ is considered well lit ?

Sodak you should be a NOLO tour guide for food and drinks lol

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked flights! 1st trip to New Orleans

palmtree, once you get hooked on NOLA food and drink, we always have Connie here in Ontario:

http://www.mississippiqueenfoods.com