We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swamp and Plantation tours.....

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Swamp and Plantation tours.....

I have searched the forum, but have not found any recent threads. Will be driving to NOLA in March with my husband and 9yo daughter.

1) swamp Tours: whats the difference btn a flat bottom and an airboat tour? (other than the type of boat....)

2) Plantation tours: are the plantations near the swamps? Will a 9yo like a plantation tour or find it boring?

Thanks

Laura

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

Anybody??

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

well the pontoon boat moves rather silently thru the swamps thus better wildlife visibility and the several ones we went on were ecologically friendly vs. the harsh noise of the airboats that I feel are more like thrill rides but that's what some want. The combo tours are good but it depends on the 9 yr. old but probably find it boring but at that age our daughter put up with the 45 minute tour.

Hamilton, Ontario...
Level Contributor
61 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

I've only done the flat bottom, and you do see a lot, and better for the environment. As mentioned above, depends on the child. Oak Alley is nice, but Destrahan is closer. I would also consider the Steamboat Natchez for your daughter. Great town...enjoy!

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

Thanks

San Antonio
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

Airboat tours are awful for the swamps. Please don't!

My kids really enjoyed the Laura Plantation tour. My youngest was 8 at the time. She bought the book about the family after the tour. None of them particularly enjoyed the Evergreen tour except for the slave quarters. Laura has a well-developed and unusual story line that makes it easier to follow.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

I also vote for the regular swamp tour. The point is to see the scenery, the animals, and the way of life for those who call the swamps their home. I also suggest doing it in the afternoon when it'll be warmer. Better chances of seeing more animals, especially for the 9yr old.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

Thanks for all the great info!

we had been leaning toward the non-airboat tour anyway. We did an airboat with the Gators Boys in Florida last year. My daughter LOVES animals. I must say I was surprised to read that tour operators feed the gators...

Will look at the plantations mentioned...still undecided

pjv
chennai
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

We are going to NOLA in later part of March. Have never been there. We will be there for only 2 full days (3 nights). Please: any suggestions> tours, or rent a car; transportation from airport to french quarter (cost for taxi??); have seen the BusVision hop on hop off (on sale with group on now) -- is it worth it? We want to get the maximum out of our visit so will really appreciate all help. thanks in advance.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,574 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

pjv..use the search feature and frequently asked questions up on the right...rental car not necessary, taxi is $33 for one or two people or if three or more $14 each, hop on/off is personal choice based on what you want to do, take a mule/buggy ride around the quarter...check out trip reports here to get ideas...check out Frommers new Orleans....

10. Re: Swamp and Plantation tours.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 07:17