We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras 2014

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales, united...
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mardi Gras 2014

Hi

I will be travelling to No on 1-6 March with my husband from the UK were in our early 40's

We've never been before and would like any tips we could before going please.

I've been reading you have to have passes for the parades is that correct do we buy these when

you get there if so where from?

do you need to book trips etc before we get there or can you do this there even though it's pretty

busy? What is the weather normally like and we've seen some comments that most people dress up is that right please? Any tips on bars places to eat sorry to have so many questions just really excited to be going to No

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

You do not need passes unless you want to buy a spot in a grandstand. The vast majority of people watch from the street.

Definitely plan to costume at least one or two days it really adds to the fun.

Weather can vary greatly. Could be cold and wet or rather balmy. Won't have a clue until maybe a week out when forecasts start dialing it in. Even with that, they can be wrong. Plan for layers to be added or taken off. Comfortable shoes because you will walk a lot!

Not sure about tours. I don't know anyone who does that during the last week of Carnival. My advice would be to decide what tours you want to take and contact the operators directly to ask.

There are bars and restaurants EVERYWHERE. My best advice is to read lots of threads that are already posted here. There is a wealth of information. Where are you staying?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

The Carnival season comes to a screeching halt at midnight between the 4th and 5th, so you might want to plan your tour type activities for the 5th.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

tickets are available for grandstand seating on St. Charles Avenue, but tickets are not required to see the parades

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

Loop, i've never been for Mardi Gras - is it true everything actually closes up at midnight on Tuesday? That's super early.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

midnight the cruisers with loudspeakers tell people to be off the streets and the water spewing street sweepers start up and down the streets for cleanup but that doesn't mean the bars close but after a long day carousing and drinking etc. most are ready to call it a day.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

Chris, things actually start winding down at sundown on Fat Tuesday. At that point many folks have been partying pretty much nonstop for four days. Traditionally, all the masks and costumes and beads came off at sundown. This has been extended over the years until midnight.

There is a police "parade" up Bourbon Street at midnight, the "Krewe of Blue", marking the end of Mardi Gras. Not that many years ago Bourbon Street was physically cleared by police horses and street sweepers, the doors facing Bourbon Street were temporarily shuttered, and loud speakers on the police vehicles blared "Mardi Gras is over, go home." Now the parade is more symbolic, although the street cleaners and police ceremony do act to pretty much clear the streets.

Many bars do remain open past midnight, but the atmosphere is somewhat subdued, and the employees are understandably anxious to go home. The service industry folks are pretty much tuckered out. If you've done it right, you should be ready to throw in the towel at midnight.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 18:18
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

Chris K

It is probably tradition more than truth. There will be police cruisers and mounted police going down Bourbon Street beginning at midnight clearing the crowd. 12 AM on Wednesday begins the Lenten Season of fasting in mostly Catholic cities everywhere. In New Orleans, there will always be a bar open though. But is is crazy to see the transformation from Mardi Gras to Ash Wednesday.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

Most first timers are amazed to discover that by sunrise on Ash Wednesday morning it's almost like Mardi Gras didn't happen, except for the beads hanging from the trees and power lines. Most everybody takes down their Carnival decorations Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 18:27
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

It's a common misconception that Fat Tuesday somehow starts the Mardi Gras season when, in fact, it's the climax of a 5-9 week carnival season. No, midnight is not early at all, particularly when most people have been out on the streets since the AM hours watching parades, drinking, gawking at fun costumes, drinking, roaming the French Quarter, drinking, etc.

wales, united...
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mardi Gras 2014

Hi,

Again thanks for getting back to me I'm staying at the Hyatt French Quarter.

is it easy enough to get a taxi from the airport please?