We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Night in NOLA

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
1 Night in NOLA

I am planning a trip around the US for Dec 2014-Jan 2015. I know its a year away but im a big planner and like to do my research. I got told New Orleans is party central and I MUST go there, so I've managed to squeeze in a Friday night there before we head home. My boyfriend and I are in our 20's.

Can anyone recommend where abouts I should look at staying, close to touristy areas, bars, clubs, shops? Also is there anywhere I should go/see/do while im there? Any advice on anything and anything to do with New Orleans would be great as im a first timer and know nothing!

Thanks x

Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Running Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
City Tours, Equipment Hire, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lucky Bean Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

Preservation Hall is the real deal. Go there for a concert (if you can get in--it's small.) You can wander around town after that. The Parks Service tour in the morning down by the docks is the best deal in town. Again, get your tickets when it opens, so you don't miss it. It's free and fascinating.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
46,716 posts
1,496 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

For lodging, I recommend the FQ (French Quarter), but beyond that, it will depend on what you want for the night, and what your budget is - nice lodging can be relatively inexpensive, on up to super expensive. With only one night, and plans for clubs and bars, I would say something in the "very comfortable" area, for not THAT much per night.

Enjoy, and travel safely.

Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

If you only have one night I would stay in the French Quarter. Not sure what your budget is but some nice places you can get at decent prices would be Place D Armes , French market Inn ( ask for a renovated room). Bourbon Orleans is also a great place.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

Read through the Top Questions at the top right corner of this site, then go to neworleansonline.com for lodging, restaurants, historic sites, maps, coupons, inexpensive things to do, clubs, music, etc. and then come back with more specific questions. You will wish you had stayed more than one night.

Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

Deciding to stay "one night" in New Orleans is like saying you want to only spend one night in Paradise.

When you get to Paradise and see all that it has to offer, you are kicking yourself as you leave after 24 hours.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

I know Castleblanca I would love to stay longer but we just don't have time.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

You'll want to stay in the FQ to be close to the action, and to be able to stop back in to drop souvenirs, unwind etc. Walk up and down Royal St. during the day and check out the shops, and the street performers.. You'll probably want to take a stroll down Bourbon St. at night, just because. (Friday night will be hoppin'). Peruse the bars, and duck in anywhere you hear music that you like, or stop for a drink or go-cup to take with you on your stroll. Check out Pat O'Brien's courtyard, and have a drink.There will be good music at the Funky Pirate (and others), on Fri. night.

I would then personally heard over to Frenchmen St. and again check out the music in the clubs (The Spotted Cat, d.b.a. and others. Drop in when you hear what you like. As on Bourbon St. some clubs will have a cover charge, others require one drink per set. I would stay out 'til the wee hours of the morning, (burning the three or four a.m. oil), enjoying the time that I have there.

8. Re: 1 Night in NOLA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19