We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

My fiance' and I want to hit Mardi Gras 2007 and I know it's best to book early- what are the best hotels to stay in for easy access to the parades and whatnot? We don't really care what kind of star rating it has so long as it's not ridiculously expensive, nor a fleabag. We'd like to be as close to the main tourist stuff as we can be, since we'll be visiting everything on foot. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
baltimore MD
Level Contributor
268 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

would recommend checking all of the online sites often.......prices for the FQ hotels may fluctuate in t he next couple of months as the hotels release rooms. Last year, after already booking rooms, the Hotel Monteleone was listed for less than $200/night for a week or so!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

Thanks, but being as that I've never gone to Mardi Gras before and am not familiar with NOLA in general, it's tough to gauge which hotel would be better than another... the online sites don't compare which is closer to a main parade route or whatnot... that's why I was hoping someone would have hotel names they could give me. Then based on that information I could track those particular hotels on the online sites, like you suggested. Thanks!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

Well, maybe I can help a little. We are staying at the Courtyard by Marriot on St. Charles for Mardi Gras 2007. We usually go to N.O. in April for French Quarter Festival and stay in the Lower Quarter, but for Mardi Gras, I like to be close to the parades, which pass right by the hotel. If I'm going to be hanging around on St. Charles for hours waiting for the Endymion parade, I want to be close to a bathroom!!!

The French Quarter 'starts' just across Canal. Not a far walk. Plus, during Carnival, there will be a LOT of people out, so it won't be like you are walking along deserted streets!

Hope this helps.....

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

Most hotels require a 5 day stay during Mardi Gras, but if the demand is low, tey will drop this requirement.

They often require 50% payment 2 to 3 mos in advance.

Close to the parade route and French Quarter and costing more: Marriott on Canal, JW Marriott on Canal,Sheraton on Canal, Astor Crowne Plaza on Canal,The Ritz on Canal.

Just off Canal: Courtyard by Marriott, The Pelham, The Monteleone, Iberville Suites, The Quinta, Holiday Inn French Quarter, Hampton Inn Downtown.

Further away but still within walking distance: Prince Conti, St Ann Marie Antoinette, Hotel St Louis, Chateau Dupre.

Most hotels use wristbands to identify patrons to allow in and out access for restrooms etc.

Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

I recommend the Omni Royal Orleans. Gorgeous hotel with nice rooms and a great staff plus the best location in the French Quarter. It is not on the parade route, which is a plus, yet you're only 3-4 blocks from Canal Street or St. Charles Avenue.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

There are a lot of great hotels to stay at, but I would recommend the Marriott on Canal if you want to be on the parade route and close to Bourbon St. You can venture in and out of the hotel to check out the parades and you are only a couple of blocks from Bourbon St. and Harrah's and a few blocks away from Jackson Square, Cafe DuMonde, etc. Additionally, you are on the French Qtr. side of parade route so you won't get stuck trying to cross over during a parade. I've even checked out the parades from the Canal St. Bar inside the Marriott.

mandeville, la
Level Contributor
279 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

Stay somewhere uptown on St. Charles Ave. if you like a more friendly, family-type atmosphere (more elbow room).

Stay on Canal St. (Sheraton, Marriott, etc.) if you like crowds and want to be on the parade routes but also a few blocks from the French Quarter.

If you stay in the French Quarter, you can walk to the parade routes, but it could be a little far, depending on the hotel. The French Quarter is really rowdy and noisy during this time so you might not get any sleep!

I like the hotels right off Canal St. - they are a little quieter but just a block or two away: some examples are the W Hotel and others on Convention Center Blvd. and my favorite, Windsor Court (pricey but wonderful). The Hilton is in a really great location for everything!

Almost all of these hotels are very nice...and there are a lot of good B&Bs also. Don't stay too far down Canal St. (the closer to the river, the better). Also, I would not stay in the area between Uptown (St. Charles Ave.) and downtown/French Quarter which is known as the Warehouse District and has some good restaurants and clubs but not that many hotels and is not close walking distance to the attractions.

I hope you have a great time!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

I second Cajunwave's recommendation of the Omni Royal.

9. Re: Best hotel for Mardi Gras?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 09:17