We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
9 posts
Save Topic
Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

My husband and I will be visiting New Orleans for the first time and it just so happens to be Mardi Gras! Now that is not the only reason for the trip, it has been on my bucket list of places to see and the timing just happened to be during Mardi Gras so that's a bonus! We plan on driving out to Oak Alley plantation one day. And I have booked a tour of the Garden District/Lafayette Cemetery. Any other recommendations on things to do/see, any certain parades going on those days that are a must see? I'm concerned about transportation, staying at La Quinta will we be able to park the car and walk to the French Quarter, and would we need to use the streetcar to get to the Garden District or any other places you might suggest? I only know suburban living, so any tips for getting around the city would be appreciated!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

What days?

Edited: 16 February 2014, 08:05
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Sorry, did not carefully read the title of your post.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Mystic Krewe of Nyx parade on Wednesday, the 26th!!!!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
526 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Vera, we are really excited to see NYX and you. We'll be in town from the 22nd thru the 28th and will make our way out to RED GRAVY. The excitement grows!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Have stayed at La Quinta several times. It's the nicest of the many La Quintas I've stayed in. You shouldn't have too much problem getting to or from the hotel by car between midnight and 4 PM Wednesday through Friday, or before 10 AM on Saturday.

La Quinta is only 2 1/2 blocks (short blocks) from the French Quarter, an easy and safe walk except during the parades; it's difficult, but not impossible, to cross the parade routes during the parades. You will want to watch the parades from the La Quinta side of the route anyway (access to restroom). Nyx on Wednesday night, and Muses on Thursday night, are both quality women's Krewe presentations.

La Quinta is close to both the St Charles streetcar and Magazine bus routes, allowing for relatively easy access to Uptown/Garden District. But because of Carnival season you should consider limiting those excursions to weekday mornings and early afternoon.

Because your time is so short, be sure to set aside a full day and night, other than parade watching time, to stroll and explore the French Quarter and immediately surrounding areas. Maybe you should consider visiting the plantation(s) on the way to or back from NOLA, or during your next visit.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:32
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

Go to Acme Oyster Bar

7. Re: Staying at La Quinta French Quarter Feb 26-28 What to do?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:18